Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OH NO the shoulder! >

OH NO the shoulder!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OH NO the shoulder!

Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OH NO the shoulder!

SO here it goes. I was hunting in Northern WI. About 4:15 pm last night a spiker came. It's the late season so I'm not to picky. Anyways he was broadside and 16 yds. I pulled back aimed behind the shoulder and released the deer ran off like a bat out hell. I climbed down and backed out. I got my uncle and we went to recover him 2 hours later. There was blood right away, and spraying everywhereon the right side off his tracks. So I'm guessing that I didn't pass through from the blood pattern. I found the arrow 20 yds away. Fletching covered in blood. We tracked him til' 10:00 and then backed out, and went back in the morning. We couldn't find anymore blood and no sign of him. The only thing I can figure is because of the steep angle (26 ft up) I hit the shoulder and it deflected down appearing I made a pass through, by the blood on the fletching. I sick to my stomach. I told myself I would do everything in my power to take open brodside shots. Anyone have any other theries.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OH NO the shoulder!

You drilled him. I say he's laying there dead. Tracking in the dark can seem like a long track, but really isn't. When he took off did he jump like something goosed him? If yes then I say you drilled him, he laying there dead.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I'd say you drilled him also. Do a grid search and post a picture when you find him.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Look for him alll over again, you'll probley find him
Old 12-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

From your story it sounds like you made a good hit on him. He is definately dead...go back and look some more
Old 12-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

What they said,And if you know who has a dog that likes deer bones,leave your bow at home,and take him or a walk inthe woods...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Why do people get so high up in the tree? I guess at times it's a must. But you loose having a good broadside shot at anything under 20 yards. I would say the deer is probably dead though.

MC
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 AM

I'd look some more, but there's a good chance you won't find him. If you had a decent chest wound with a truly sharp broadhead, you would have found him last night. I think you probably hit shoulder tissue as your thread title suggests. There's typically a lot of blood at first, then you lose em. I've seen deer hit in shoulder with 30-06 that we didn't recover.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:14 PM

Get off the internet and get back into the woods and look for him!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

I'd look some more, but there's a good chance you won't find him. If you had a decent chest wound with a truly sharp broadhead, you would have found him last night. I think you probably hit shoulder tissue as your thread title suggests. There's typically a lot of blood at first, then you lose em. I've seen deer hit in shoulder with 30-06 that we didn't recover.
So the 30-06 didnt break his shoulder eh? I find it hard to believe that any deer hit in the shoulder with anything heavier than a .243 wouldnt die. If you dont mind me asking, does anyone else know of an instance where a deer was hit in the shoulder with a rifle and didnt die?

Quick Reply: OH NO the shoulder!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.