Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

bore sighting concerns

Old 11-24-2003, 09:02 PM

Default bore sighting concerns

hey guys/girls....just pretty much had a comment and a few questions:

first of all...i take my new a-bolt 7 WSM over to Dicks Sporting Goods to get them to mount some standard leupold mounts, which they carry, and get my leupold vx-ii bore sighted. well....this guy who worked there who always has some crazy opinions on stuff when i go in there is the one who does it for me. i pratically had to walk this guy through how to do it. i mean...if i had a bore sight kit and all the tools and gun rest to set it in i would' ve just done it myself. this guy acted like he' d never even mounted these standard rings before. hopefully you guys dont have to deal with these people at gun shops who know a great deal less than the average customer!

well my concern is that after tightening down my base and bottom rings and just kind of eyeing them to see if they were exactly in line he went ahead and mounted the scope and bore sighted it. i mean im guessing that after bore-sighting he would be able to tell if the scope were aligned well, but im just concerned that this guy might have done no good at all with all the mess ups and confusions he had when mounting it. do i have anything to worry about or should i go ahead and see if im " on the paper" this week when i take it to the range?? thanks a lot.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:29 AM

Default RE: bore sighting concerns

I wouldn' t trust anybody at Dick' s. I' m sure there are some that work there that actually know what they are talking about, but there are probably a lot more that don' t.

This makes me think of the time that I asked the sales clerk at Wal-mart to show me the Remington shotgun with the ventilated ribbed barrel. She handed me a Hawken muzzle loader [>:] I finallly had to describe the gun as having a " little picket fence down the tube." WOW, it' s amazing who they will hire. I don' t blame the clerk, at least she was working and not on welfare.

Oh well, back to your question. Look to see if your rifle is bore sighted. Look down the barrel and see if the crosshairs are on the same object as you can see through your bore. I have bore sighted several rifles by pulling the bolt and setting it on sandbags on the kitchen table. I center my mailbox in the bore, then just adjust the crosshairs onto the mailbox. This has always put my POI within 4-6" at 100 yards.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:34 AM

Take it to the range ....I had my H&R boresighted at my local gunsmith and you would think they would know what they are doing. It took me three boxes of slugs to get it zero' d. Bought my own sighting equipment after that ordeal.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:26 AM

thanks guys...i appreciate it..i' ll let everyone know how it performs when i get back from thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don' t need all of the fancy equipment to bore sight a rifle. Simply take the bolt out, look down the bore, and adjust the crosshairs to the target. Whala, it' s bore sighted.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have never found bore sighting much good. Start at 25 yds then zero the scope to shoot the bull. repeat at 50 yds then 75 and finally 100.. remember for most scopes 4 clicks to an inch at 100, this means 8 to the inch at 50 and 16 at 25yds.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

I have never found bore sighting much good. Start at 25 yds then zero the scope to shoot the bull. repeat at 50 yds then 75 and finally 100.. remember for most scopes 4 clicks to an inch at 100, this means 8 to the inch at 50 and 16 at 25yds.
Ditto. I work in a small sporting goods shop and personally would never use the cheap boresiter we have on one of my guns, I tell the customer that up front. Still, its amazing how many guys will come in the day before a hunting season opens wanting a ' boresite' . In 20 years of this I have had a total of one person come back and tell me his rifle was so close that he wouldn' t mess with it.
IMHO half the fun of prepping for the big hunt is taking the guns out and zeroing them in, if the gun is a new one this is all the more important as it is a chance to get a feel for the new gun and find if it has in problems.
Just my 2 pennies

Old 11-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I don' t blame the clerk, at least she was working and not on welfare.
I don' t blame the clerk, at least she was working and not on welfare.
I agree!

The point is - if you are going to Wal Mart to buy anr rifle, you should know what you are looking at.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:17 AM

Had a new scope mounted the other day and got it " bore sighted" . What a joke a box of shells later I reverted to the mailbox strategy as previously posted. Worked great zeroed in 10 shots. My advice is do it yourself if you want it right. And if it' s wrong you got noone else to blame.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:52 PM

I am extremely confused! Are you guys saying that you get a gun bore sighted and then go out hunting without firing a shot???????

Quick Reply: bore sighting concerns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.