Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullet selection for newbie >

Bullet selection for newbie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet selection for newbie

Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet selection for newbie

no problem, just passing on what I learned. I was in the same place you are in last sept. when I started in ML's.

btw, what gun are you shooting, I think I missed something somewhere.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Spike

I just bought a CVA Wolf for my b-day in Jan. Went cheap right away just in case I didn't like it. Have yet to shoot though, just due to my lack of having a range anywhere near my place. Plus, here in WI, it's been snowy and cold all winter, go figure. It's getting really nice, and i'm really getting the itch to take it out.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

my brother in law and his son has an wolf, they are good shooters for the money. still have not talked them into letting shot one for them yet. the wolf will shot great with powerbelts.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Spike

Yeah, heard it's a good little gun. I've read all of frontiergander's info on powerbelts. Really looks like he's done not only his homework, but everyone else's too. Just another guy whose brain you really want to pick.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard good things about the cheap shots, but I don't have any personal experience with them. A few guys I know swear by them - for target practice and for deer hunting.

I do what a lot of other guys do - buy pistol bullets in bulk (Hornady XTP's - 100 for about $22) and then buy sabots separately. You can find bullets in bulk from www.midwayusa.com and www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
and sabots as well.

Several guys on this forum have the CVA Wolf and I know some of them have had good luck with a 240 grain or 300 grain XTP with 80 - 100 grains of 777 or Pyrodex. The cheap shot was designed to shoot like a 240 grain jacketed bullet, so it should do good too.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to say I have taken a deer with .430 240xtp just this last season with a knight usak 85grs of pyrodex p, at about 25 yrds. ran about 25 yrds, but walked 100yrd before I found it. tracking at night sucks.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fenrick

I still have yet to get out and shoot, but I'm wondering what bullets I should pick up. Right now, I just have some PB's and Shockwaves. At the store near me they also have CVA slickloads, Cheap Shot sabot's, and some variety of Knight sabot's. Just wanting your opinion on what I should get/start with?

Has anyone shot the Cheap Shot Sabot's? They arereally, really inexpensive.
If your gun shoots them accurate and the bullet does NOT fragment then go with them. When I first started MLing in 1999, I knew nothing about bullets, sabots and I used Knight 260g pure lead bullets, for two years and they worked fine, were accurate as heck in a Knight Disc.Theymy brother turned me on to Powerbelts, which I used successfully for 3 years and then had issues the last year I used them. I think any bullet is OK if you can place it accurately AND is does not fragement. I personally like Barnes and Noslers now, but if I was on a budget, raising kids and have limited funds, then go with a Gold Dot or a Remington HP or a Hornady XTP, 250 or 300g.The Remington HPs are excellent bullets also and folks don't talk alotabout them either. Also there are alotof folks on here that don't speak up, but I know they have opinions and a lot of experience, so listen to them about what is inexpensive and shoots well. As you have seen from SLer new rifle, he shot the 250g Gold Dots, they sell them 100 for $20, I don't think you can beat that bullet for shooting accuracy and killing power and price. I have 4 boxes of them and when I am done with my Noslers I will shoot them. I may try them in mySavage, butI wanted a higherBC bullet and that HP is not that ballistically efficient, but boy it does a number on deer. Chap