Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullet selection for newbie >

Bullet selection for newbie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet selection for newbie

Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default Bullet selection for newbie

I still have yet to get out and shoot, but I'm wondering what bullets I should pick up. Right now, I just have some PB's and Shockwaves. At the store near me they also have CVA slickloads, Cheap Shot sabot's, and some variety of Knight sabot's. Just wanting your opinion on what I should get/start with?

Has anyone shot the Cheap Shot Sabot's? They arereally, really inexpensive.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet selection for newbie

I am going to be using cheap shots this fall. I have great things about them. I have shot one into sand to see how they expand.

left is packaged as t/c 230gr (seirra)bullet surefire sabots; right cheap shot

Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Spike

I guess I am hesitant about using them, because nobody on here ever talks about them. I figured you'll get what you pay for. And right now, I'm able to pick up a pack of Cheap Shot's for like $3.50. I'm figuring for that price, I'd be stupid not to pick them up to just try them.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

if they got them for that price get more. online they sale for $6 and most of the gun shops around where I live, they are $8. like I said, I have heard reports, both here and out on the range, about how good they are.

imo, that get what you pay for. does not alway mean a thing on somethings. but that is just me and I am on a budget so I have to do test.

another thing you may want to think about is buying bulk pistol rounds and sabots.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot a lot of them at targets. Never used them to hunt,although some have with good results.I buy XTP in bulk still pretty cheap to shoot.

Charlie
Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Spike

Ok, what kind of bulk pistol rounds? This is where I get lost. Where do I start there? What brands, what size, and what sabot's? I've heard good things about Crush Rib Sabot's and they are really cheap for me right now too, but when it comes to bullets, I'm clueless.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used an hornady .430 240gr xtp with an green mmp sabot

I have also shot hornady .452 240gr xtp with an black hph-24 mmp sabot and an 250gr xtp with the same sabot.

now we get out of what I have worked with, I only have shot maybe 10 haverster chush rib. and I have not worked with anyother bulks as much as hornady
Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Spike

What kind of price will I be looking at for XTP's? Cheaper than just buying "normal" muzzleloader bullets? Like you Corey I'm on a budget too.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got them for $21 to $23 per 100 local,

also there is another thread that is talking about another bullet that is about the same price for 50 speer gold dots. I think that is right

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2713513

most of you the muzzleloader bullets that come with sabot are just pistol rounds.

you can go with conicals (full bore) as well, which you are getting with powerbelts (little pricey), I have very little exp. with them. going to change that this summer.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Spike

Corey, Thanks for all the help. I can never learn enough about this stuff.

Quick Reply: Bullet selection for newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.