Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cabelas Hawken kit problems >

Cabelas Hawken kit problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabelas Hawken kit problems

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cabelas Hawken kit problems

I bought a Cabelas/Investarms unfinished percussion kit a while ago. I was putting it togther last night and ran into several problems and was hoping you guys could help me out. The first problem was the screw that connects the ramrod thimble to the barrel just would not screw in. Second problem was the hammer doesnt fall when I pull the trigger. Third problem the biggy, I got it almost put togther and I had 2 holes left to put screws in and 2 screws left but those 2 screws dont fit in the pre drilled holes in the metal tang. I am guessing they put the wrong screws in the box. What should I do about this?

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Hawken kit problems

With out the thimble rib resting on the bottom of the barrel, are you able to put the thimble rib screws into the barrel?

If the trigger does not fall, check the lock outside the rifle stock. Engage the hammer to the back firing position and then on the botton of the lock you will see the fly and the sear. Watch your fingers, but if you apply pressure to the sear it will trip the sear spring and the hammer should fall. If this works then you might have to check and make sure the triggers are in the right place when you set the lock.

Are you sure you did not get the right screws? If you did not get the screws you need, I would contact Cabela's. They might in turn have you contact Investarms or Lyman Rifles. I am not sure who handles the warranty on those rifles.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cabelas Hawken kit problems

Take out the rear-most lock plate screw and see if the hammer will drop. I suspect it's a bit too long and protruding out through the lock plate enough to interfere with the hammer. If so, just shorten it. Grind it back about 1 thread at a time until you can tighten the screw and have free hammer movement.