Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 white mountain carbine questions >

white mountain carbine questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

white mountain carbine questions

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default white mountain carbine questions

Hello, I am looking a white mountain carbine, its used, but in pretty good shape. what would be a good price to pay for this rifle ? Can a guy purchase another barrel for this gun from Green Mountain ? How is theaccuracy of these short barreled guns ? When were these rifles last produced ? Sorry for all the questions, but I kinda want to what to expect. Thanks, Steve
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: white mountain carbine questions

ORIGINAL: steviebiggun

Hello, I am looking a white mountain carbine, its used, but in pretty good shape. what would be a good price to pay for this rifle ? Can a guy purchase another barrel for this gun from Green Mountain ? How is theaccuracy of these short barreled guns ? When were these rifles last produced ? Sorry for all the questions, but I kinda want to what to expect. Thanks, Steve
They are a good rifle. As for the price, if it is in good shape and you want it BAD, then $250.00 is not unreasonable as I have seen them on auction sites go for that. If this is a private party, then I would start around $125.00 and start to dicker from there. $175.00 would be a fair price.

You can purchase barrels from Green Mountain Barrel company. They are a 21 inch 1-28 twist. I shoot one. 90 grains of Goex 3f and a sabot is a very accurate load. Mine is a flintlock so I have to shoot a black powder.

As for when they were last produced, I am not sure. It was many years ago, but they are a great rifle and Thompson Center still has their warranty to cover them. Over all they make a great tree stand, brush, and stalking rifle. Those that own them shoot maxiball and other conicals with some excellent accuracy. I am sure an original owner will come in and help you out with your questions.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

That is my Hawkins flintlock with the Green Mountain Barrel that fits the White Mountian Carbine stock.

This was the first or second time out on the range with the new barrel.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 AM

Can't speak as to price but alot of them are starting to surface these days, I guess folks that went to inlines are cleaning out the safe.

There are two kinds, the early ones had a 1:20 twist and shoot sabots great, conicals OK and you can forget roundballs. The later ones were 1:38 and do a good job with sabots and conicals. I got mine in 91 (I think) and it's still my go-to gun. They are a little finiky when working up a load but once you find it, they are a joy to carry and shoot. Don't worry about the short barrel, they are not a long range gun and out to 100 yards they shoot as good as most longer barrels.

It's sort of funny, when they were in production you didn't hear much about them and because they took alot of work to get shooting (compared to others of the time), they didn't seem all that popular. These day I see and hear about them more...just a real nice deer gun.

Doug
Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 of them. 1 for my daughter, orig. bbl., drives tacks. 70yds, 70gr ffg goex 250 maxihunter .50cal 1' was cut off stock, with a recoil padbefore I got it a yr ago. It had scope mts and rings (permanent). So I use a barrel flusher kit to clean it. The other I bought this winter,the bbl was severely pitted. Replaced it w/a 21" 1 in 28 twist G.M. bbl. Had to sand the bbl channel to make it fit. Sand a little try it, sand and try. The left side of the stock was tighter than the right. Haven't shot that one yet though. cayugad & sabotloader gave me help and advice!! Thanks again guys. Good luck when you get one, they are a sweet handling rifle!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM

i like mine alot, it was the last side hammer gun that i bought. i used it for about 3 years then in 91 went to the inlines. but in the last 2years i been chunken alot of lead with mine. it shoots the.451 230 gr xtp with a black mmp sabot and 100grs of t7 the best so far. the price on used side hammer guns is at a all time low around mississippi because of the inlines and you can also use the 45-70 withsmokeless ammo. around here you couldn't get $100. for one. and i like it!