Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabelas Hawken

Old 12-02-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Cabelas Hawken

I'm trying to find out about Cabelas Traditional Hawken rifle, my wife wants to buy me one for Christmas and I would like to find out if there are any concerns as far as quality or anything else I should know about it. I'm looking at the .54 percussion thanks for any information you can give.

Duane
Old 12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Hawken

Buy the longer version! On occasion, the shorter stock has-had wood-cracking issues near the trigger guard. Also.... tell her to have the store salesman bring three rifles to the counter-table. The quality of the wood grain & stain colorvaries. This way, she can pick-out the one that's most appealing.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

The Cabela's Hawkins used to be made by Investarm s.p.a.. The same people that make Lyman Rifles. My friend's wife bought him a .54 caliber long Hawkins (not the carbine) and it is a beautiful excellent shooting rifle. It has a 1-48 twist and shoots conicals as well as roundball very well. He has take a couple deer with it.

I have a Lyman Trade Rifle which is basically the same rifle in .54 caliber. The difference is the Lyman Trade rifle does not have the fancy brass patch box. D&R Sports has the best price on them. Unless you want the fancy one, that would be another alternative. Lymans, Investarms, all good rifles, good shooters, made in Italy.

Keep the wife.. if she buys guns, she's all right in my book!!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have one in 50 cal that I picked up for free. The disgusted owner had left it for dead and gave it to mewith a dry-balled PRB and then a charged PRB, seized nippleand had broken the ramrod.

After removing the double load, a complete detail cleaning, mild bore polishing, a hand made ramrod,light sanding and oilingon the stock, polishing the hardwareand tuning the lock the rifle looks and shoots like brand new.

Nice rifles. As mentioned, don't mess with the short barreled carbine version and if you can hand select your woodgrain stock to ensure that the wrist is with the grain not cross-grained.

Nice gift!

Tahquamenon
Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

They seem like good rifles to me. THey are very popular!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A better alternative (in my opinion) is the T/C Renegade or Hawkens. You can buy a slew of aftermarket drop-in barrels for either one& that's what sets them apart from most other manufacturer makes & models-- plus T/C's best ML warranty in the entire firearms business.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM

this is what I wanted to know I would rather have a lyman gph but the budget wont allow that it doesen't sound like I can go to far wrong with this rifle.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

A better alternative (in my opinion) is the T/C Renegade or Hawkens. You can buy a slew of aftermarket drop-in barrels for either one& that's what sets them apart from most other manufacturer makes & models-- plus T/C's best ML warranty in the entire firearms business.
The same 15/16" GM IBS drop-in barrels that fit the T/C Hawken will fit the Cabelas/Investarms Hawken.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:14 PM

thanks thats a good thing to know.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

According to my Green Mountain Chart... they have drop in barrels for the Cabela's Hawkins, Investarms, Lyman Trade Rifle, Lyman Deerstalker, Lyman Deerstalker carbine, the T/C Hawkins, Renegade. Renegade Hunter, and T/C Big Bore.

With these drop in barrels they range in caliber from .32 - .50 in fast and slow twist barrels. In order to get the bigger calibers, you have to go to a Thompson Center .54 caliber rifle and then you can get a drop in all the way up to a .62 caliber.

Good luck with your selection.

Quick Reply: Cabelas Hawken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.