Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need help picking out a ML >

Need help picking out a ML

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help picking out a ML

Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need help picking out a ML

rynigner, if you can use and want a smokeless powder gun,the Ultra is out of your price range so I guess it would be a Savage, if you don't intend to use smokeless then the Triumph, which is really a much improved Omega is the best combination of a good shooter thats easier to take care of than the rest in my opinion. Lee
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM

ryan

sent you a PM

Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, depends on where he hunts. If all he will shoot is sabots, then the list already stated is good. However, if he will be hunting with conicals, I would personally stay away from T/C newer guns because they have a QLA (false muzzle) which makes shooting conicals very "iffy". My Omega and many others won't shoot conicals worth a durn. I love the design of my Omega and ease of cleaning and it shoots sabots very well, but will not shoot a conical except for powerbelts. I am certainly not the only one with this problem. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys thanks for all the help. We ended up getting him a T/C Triumph with the hardwoods synthetic stock and stainless barrel from cabelas... Not sure if the knife they are sending with it will make it into the present wrapping,lol.... tx, what exactly is a conical bullet so I can advise him from using them. If you couldn't tell I am not familiar with ML's at all....
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rynigner

Hey guys thanks for all the help. We ended up getting him a T/C Triumph with the hardwoods synthetic stock and stainless barrel from cabelas... Not sure if the knife they are sending with it will make it into the present wrapping,lol.... tx, what exactly is a conical bullet so I can advise him from using them. If you couldn't tell I am not familiar with ML's at all....
Excellent choice. A conical is a bullet without a sabot basically, usually all lead and usually in slower twist rifles like a caplock that shoot ML caps not 209 primers. Inlines shoot "in line" with the bore, side locks shoot on the side of the breech, flint locks are side locks that shoot with a piece of stone for ignition. Chap Gleason
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM

The finish on the barrel isnt stainless steel, its some kind of painted on finish, they call it Weathershield.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: rynigner

Excellent choice. A conical is a bullet without a sabot basically, usually all lead and usually in slower twist rifles like a caplock that shoot ML caps not 209 primers. Inlines shoot "in line" with the bore, side locks shoot on the side of the breech, flint locks are side locks that shoot with a piece of stone for ignition. Chap Gleason
Ditto. Excellent choice, he should be very pleased!