Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 look what I got now, who gets the blame >

look what I got now, who gets the blame

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

look what I got now, who gets the blame

Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Default RE: look what I got now, who gets the blame

did it break off in the wood? If not, im not sure if you have a Slap hammer or not.. If not, you can take a screw drive and put torque on the screw and then give the screw driver a few blunt taps while torquing the screw.

if its broke, Tru drilling it out. Its slow but hey.. I had to do that on a 1/2" Dia. bolt that broke off into the frame of my 53 ford. Talk about a PITA!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

wabi

My NewEnglander like short conicals. I just got a mould for the Lee 250gr REAL and so far it looks very promising in the NewEnglander. The 1:48 twist is a compromise for PRB & conicals and I find it's fairly good for PRB but not ideal. For conicals the shorter designs do much better than a long bullet
I know that this is the conventional wisdom and according to the math rules it is all suppose to be correct, but I gotta tell you I have had much better luck with the long heavier bullets from the 1/48 than I do with lighter shorter.

I was amazed how well my real Renegades shoot the 460 grain Bull Shops and the same thing even when I shoot sabots. I shoot 300 grain projectiles and sabots really well but when I drop back to a 240/250 things really get unpredictable.

As an example - I have been trying to shoot those short .542/445 grain concicals from any of my 54's - really not pretty. My next experiment is I ordered some .540/535 grain No Excuses's from Dave and I hope to try them this spring... I do not no why but i am really confident they will shoot just fine.

This is one of my original targets shot from a 1/48 twist 50 cal Renegade. It is not the best but it sure showed me a lot of promise.... In fact today shooting clay pigeons resting on the ground from 50 yards to 125 yards - it is almost always one shot - one broken bird...

Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

it did not break. I got it out.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Good. Looking forward to seeing some pics after shes done. What finish are you going to put on it? Truoil?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

no, using a good wood finish, classic oak, I think I am going to do one more coat. going to do that before I got back into work