Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How to tell nipple size >

How to tell nipple size

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How to tell nipple size

Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Default RE: How to tell nipple size

Semisane----I think I have to agree with your wife now
You are Insane...But I love it----A slap in the face is still
better than a night in jail though....
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

HUNT4ME

Now did anybody expect the original post to go unscathed?
NO! but, I am just glad it wasn't me that started the turn down...
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

When I was a young man I decided it would be a good thing to do some nipple size experiments,but kept getting slapped in the face when I tried to measure them.
I tried it once.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

johnny2 only says that because during his night in jail he tried to measure the jailers nipple and woke up with his pants around his ancles, an empty k-y tube next to him and a warm fuzzy place in his heart for his cell mate.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:56 PM
Spike

Cool Nipple size VS cap size

I have a related question. I have read multiple posts on multiple forums trying to find out what cap size I am supposed to use on a New Englander muzzle loader I recently acquired. According to the manual, I should be using #11 caps. Does not fit the nipple. I believe the nipple was replaced with a non-standard. When people are asking for nipple size, why does the answers refer to thread size? If the thread is 1/4X28, it does not affect the end where the nipple goes. or am I missing something. That beats my logic. I have a #11 nipple wrench and the hole inside the wrench is to small for the nipple to fit in leading me to believe the nipple size is not #11. I measured the end of my nipple where the cap goes. It measure 0.219 OD. What size cap should I get to fit this nipple? I purchased #12 and it is too small. I bought no 1081 FL purely by visual reference and it is too big. The way the caps are packaged, you open it, it is yours. No returns. So how do I know what to buy?
Old 02-06-2022, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just guessing but it sounds like you might have a Musket Cap nipple in on the New Englander

The 3rd nipple from the left.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:31 PM
Spike

Thank you for the picture. Great to be able to picture the different nipples side by side. Considering your estimation of what I have on the rifle and I have the 1081 caps. In your opinion, when fitting a cap to the nipple, how tight is the fit?. The 1081 cap which is supposedly a musket cap fits loosely around the nipple. It is not a press-fit. What is the norm?
Old 02-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Best4u
Thank you for the picture. Great to be able to picture the different nipples side by side. Considering your estimation of what I have on the rifle and I have the 1081 caps. In your opinion, when fitting a cap to the nipple, how tight is the fit?. The 1081 cap which is supposedly a musket cap fits loosely around the nipple. It is not a press-fit. What is the norm?
Often it is not a great fit with a Musket cap - most just squeeze the cap a little bit then push it on to the nipple post. I much prefer using #11 caps on the correct nipple. A lot of the old timers do not want to use a capper and with a #11 the capper makes a lot of difference,

Old 02-11-2022, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

the nipple is tapered, if its just a bit loose, grind or file the tip down till the cap fits. since it is tapered, the shorter ya make it the larger the diameter.