Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Really Good Day - Shooting in the Rock Pit >

A Really Good Day - Shooting in the Rock Pit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Really Good Day - Shooting in the Rock Pit

Old 02-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Really Good Day - Shooting in the Rock Pit

We had a really decent amount of early snow here and it has been slow melting off. Three/four Weeks ago I drove out to the rock Pit hoping to get in to do some shooting. Not a chance! the road was clogged with snow plus the County had plowed out turn around are and built a large berm of snow over the beginning of the Pit road. Well, yesterday, I decided to run out and take a look at the conditions. To my surprise a travel pass had been pushed through the berm and the road had been traveled and the pit was now accessible.

My main reason for this shooting trip was to shoot some bullets that I have had since 2017 but have never really given then a really good look see.

This is a picture of the 40 cal. projectiles that Lehigh has made at one time or the other. The 40x200 CF-HP has long been a real favorite of mine. Second bullet from the left. But the 230 grain bullets have long been something I really wanted to try. The two bullets on the right. One being what Lehigh call a 'broach' nose and one with slit petals. The 'broach' nose was designed to work down to 1200 fps. and the Slit petals down to 750 fps.

I also ran the Ballistics on these bullets - They print out really nice.

Anyway here is a picture page of the outing.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those pictures from you guys up north always blow my mind. Yesterday I decided not to go to the range for a shooting session because it was too darn cold (46⁰).
Old 02-15-2022, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gee Semi, 46 is darn near hot around here at this time. Actually it is suppose to be sunny and nice tomorrow @ 44*. Good day to head to Dinger's farm and get some more shooting in! Come on up!

mike
Old 02-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi you're getting to be a real wuss! I wish I was there with Sabot instead being down here in Florida. But someone has to be here with my wife to keep her from spending all my money!
Old 02-15-2022, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Bronko, who are you calling a wuss? If you could join our hunting club group for a few beers around the fire late one Saturday night you might hear them say such things as "He's darn tough - willing to face any challenge, spits in the face of adversity, cares not a whit for creature comforts." Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was me they were talking about. But sometimes it's hard to hear over the sound of my propane heater. Heck, they've often told me Indiana Jones would look up to me and Rocky Balboa would envy my stamina. They're a jolly group - always laughing.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh boy! and here we go..

OK tomorrow at 2:00 lets meet at the Dinger Farm and do some shooting! I would enjoy listening to both of you! but no political talk!

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-16-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

No problems there Sabotloader. I can assure you I won't be talking political. English is my only language. I've never been to Political and couldn't find it on a map if I had to. One thing I've never understood though. Why are the people from there called Politicians instead of Politicals?

I just went to Mapquest and entered "Dinger Farm". Got a return message saying, "Are you sure? It's pretty darn cold there." When I asked Alexa how to find Sabotloader she replied, "Funny you should ask. That's the most frequent query I get from the FBI and ATF."

Last edited by Semisane; 02-16-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I guess I am glad you guys couldn't make it... Like it use to say in the encyclopedia - if you do not like the weather in Idaho - wait a minute it will change!

Trip to the farm is cancelled. Little sun, lots of wind - but the temp is still 46*

Got the rifle ready to go so I will wait for another opportunity! It will come in two weeks hope fully. The high temps next week are to reach 24*.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey Bronko, who are you calling a wuss? If you could join our hunting club group for a few beers around the fire late one Saturday night you might hear them say such things as "He's darn tough - willing to face any challenge, spits in the face of adversity, cares not a whit for creature comforts." Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was me they were talking about. But sometimes it's hard to hear over the sound of my propane heater. Heck, they've often told me Indiana Jones would look up to me and Rocky Balboa would envy my stamina. They're a jolly group - always laughing.
Always fun reading your posts. I never know what's going to come out of your mouth, or in this case, off your fingers! BTW if I had a few beer I'd be out like a light. The only beers I can drink multiples of are rootbeers!