Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 easy loading bullets >

easy loading bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

easy loading bullets

Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Default RE: easy loading bullets

Use a 50 grain pellet and a 30 grain pellet for a total of 80 grains. I find a maximum of 80 grains powder works best with powerbelts. I use a 225 grain powerbelt over 80 grains pyrodex and the damage and short blood trail it leaves is amazing.

I also prefer this shot placement thats pictured in the link. Makes them blood out like a SOB.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?...86&mpage=1
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

Chap- I keep my patches in an old Skoal tin. Small enough to carry and will keep patches wet for a long time.
I have not tried that, since I don't chew. Maybe a film canister will work, which I have. Thank for the tip. Chap Gleason
Me too. the round patches at WalMart fit perfect.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

trophy hunter

If you can afford to shoot the best deer bullet i have found through all ranges to 180+ yards is a .451/260 grain Nosler Partition. This bullet when placed in the vitals cavity it will pass through and it will completely destroy the the lungs - turns them to jello whether you hit or not - most often destroys the heart also... the Hydrostatic damage in the chest turns evrything to jello... If you happen to slip up and get one back behind the diaphragm - well - you have one heck of mess... The only other bullet i would truct to do this damage is a Barnes - but I do not shoot them so I can tell you the results...

The next best bullet I believe is the Speer .452/250 grain Gold Dot or as some people are using and reporting the .452/300 grain Gold Dot. These are much more affordable, they are bonded bullets and they expand as designed - they get very big but because of the bonding and the dot they can only expand to a set level and then theykeep on driving - a poormans Nosler. The 300 grain has a BC of .232 nearing the BC's of some very pointed bullets that everyone talks about.

The key for you is to get the correct sabot for your huntsman, and as much as i hate to say it... I do not know enough about the huntsman to recommend the right sabot. What bullet sabot combinations have you tried in the past? I would imagine the Harvester "crush rib" would be a good place to start if it is not to loose.... What powder do you use? is it Pyro Pellets or T7 pellets?

I am Kennewick right now or I would include a couple of pics....

This is a thread i posted awhile back showing the results of a .458 Nosler and it's contact with a 470# cow elk...

mike