Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 easy loading bullets >

easy loading bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

easy loading bullets

Old 01-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: easy loading bullets

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

trophy hunter, If you want the best combination you can get and you can use sabots where you hunt the way I would go about finding that fit is:
To aquire a set of different thickness sabots
a set of the weight bullets you are interested in , in .451 ,.4515,.452
Take out the breach plug and try all possable combinations, the one that loads just a bit tighter than you would prefer will likly shoot the best.
If you choose to or need to go with the other style try a 300gr Sabortooth from harvestor, if you feel you must use PB's use the heavy ones with no more than 90 gr of RS or the equvilant thereof, most problems with power belts are from loading with more powder than is recommended by the people who make them. Lee
Yes forgot about those--- SaberTooth are good, my brother uses them and they are stronger/non-fragmenting than the PB and load easy, less costly than PB also, here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=773839&t=11082005

Frontier Gander reports that they fall out of the barrel and don't hold sometimes to the plastic, so test them out carefully or glue them or kurl/score the holder to make it grip better. Chap Gleason
Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

trophy hunter

Easy loading bullets... well, it depends on how easy you want, not much gets anyeasier than a Power Belt, but I really would not want to put my hunting success on of them although they work fine for a lot of people.

But for me to give you any clues I would need to know what rifle you are shooting. As you probably already know there is no standard bore size on a 50 cal barrel. They can vary widely even within the same manufacturer to some degree.

If I knew your rife make and model might be able to steer you right to the right sabot/bullet combination.

Somebody has already identified the different sabots, but I would also add that their are more sabot combinations available for a .451/.452 bullet than a .429/.430 caliber.

The next thing I would like to know is what are you hunting? I, myself, use one bullet for a deer class animal and another for elk, although that really probably is not necessary...

Next what is legal in your hunting area as far as projectiles and ignition systems... inline, sidehammer, rock sparker?

I would almost guarantee you there is an accurate combination out there - even if you are shooting conicals.

Sorry for all the questions....
Old 01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

This lack of standardization in barrel sizes and some of these wide tolarances is certainly not doing the sport any good, there sould be some way we could start putting some pressure on to standardize things like a 50 cal barrel.
Foe new people that dont understand the problems that can come up because of it it could actually be a safty problem for other ones its very discouraging because if it dont fit right and they have spent their money!
Chapman thanks for mentioning that about them not holding position in the barrel I have not personally had that experance but Iknow it could happened and always check for that particular problem and should have mentioned it.
Lee
Old 01-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Chap- I keep my patches in an old Skoal tin. Small enough to carry and will keep patches wet for a long time.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

Chap- I keep my patches in an old Skoal tin. Small enough to carry and will keep patches wet for a long time.
I have not tried that, since I don't chew. Maybe a film canister will work, which I have. Thank for the tip. Chap Gleason
Old 01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I han an Omega that was the greatest shooting MZ I have ever seen in my life. The problem was you could not get a second shot down the barrel with a hammer-and I am not joking. The barrel would not take a second shot."

My Encore is the same way when using the 250 grain SST in the short black sabot along with Pyrodex or 777.When using JSG, the reload goes down the bore hard just like they do with a clean barrel. This gun is hard to load but shoots better than most center fire rifles.It does not like theSuper Glideand crush rib sabots, itputs the bullets all over the place. With the Hornady Low Drag sabots the groups are acceptable but barely so, about 3" at 100 yards.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

falcon

You probably already know this but I'll list it anyway...

The SST's come with a HPH-12 sabot - I am surprised you even get that one down you Omega or Encore...

The TC ShockWaves (same bullet) comes with either the HPH-24 Sabot (black) or the "easy glide" the easy glide is the thinnest sabot the 24 being sligthly thicker.

The Hornady "low drag" is a HPH-3p-EZ and is a thin sabot built along the deminsions of the easy glide....

The "crush rib" is the thinnest sabot on the market - or it can be if you crush the ribs down tightly.

From your description - I would guess the "crush rib" is to loose in your bore(s) the "low drag" "easy glide" & if you have tried the 3p - they are slighly tighter than than the low grag therefor giving you a more acceptible group, but the sabot you need might be either the HPH-24 or Harvester regular sabots. I shoot these from my Omega and I can get the second, & third down with moderate pressure - the fourth is usually a struggle without patching - if I damp patch between shots all will go down correctly.

Just sharing some thoughts... but again it is probably old information to you....
Old 01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

my rifle is a .50 huntsman, i was shooting 2 50 gr. pellots with a 295 grain powerbelt, they load fine, i just do`nt want to lose an other animal because of them, i have taken 5 good bucks anda few doeswith this rifle using 300 gr. cva deerslayer bullets, the wife just started muzzy hunting and has a hard time loading these, that why the change.
thanks for all the help guys....
Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

sabotshooter
hunting deer, most muzzys are leagal here, the powerbelts shoot fine, but no blood trail, i knocked the deer down and it got up and trotted off, tracked for a good 400 yrds, no blood..
i hope the deer made it...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trophy hunter

sabotshooter
hunting deer, most muzzys are leagal here, the powerbelts shoot fine, but no blood trail, i knocked the deer down and it got up and trotted off, tracked for a good 400 yrds, no blood..
i hope the deer made it...
Right, weall hate it when that happens and ithappenswith the PB more than any other bullet, they fragment when you push them too hard or you hit bone. Go to a stronger bullet like I suggested above. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: easy loading bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.