Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

holy price jump!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: holy price jump!

ORIGINAL: johnny2

I heard you better stock up on primers again as well...Maybe I better get me
a M of 209's before they sky-rocket
And another reason I got two different bullet molds to make my own..They
may not be as accurate but a lot cheaper to shoot so more time for load
development..God bless America
There is no reason for them to be less accurate. From my MK85 the bullet's I cast are the most accurate bullet I shoot.

I now have a whole year to cast for my Knight LRH-So I am pretty sure I will be shooting cast bullet's out of it next year. Cast bullets are very accurate, It just takes a little more time to get the right load. First step is to get the barrel slugged. Tom.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Hey Head0001-

Is it possible to slug the bore with a round ball is a lead slug better to use?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Johnny2,

You can slug the bore with any lead bullet as long as you use a hammer to bump it up to slightly over bore size. The round ball would work but it is harder to keep it straight in the bore. You could bump it up and then drill a starter hole in it and screw a ball puller in so it could be mounted onto a range rod. Use the range rod to push it into the bore and keep it straight, then pull it out andmeasure the results. Another way is to use a 54cal RB to slug a 50cal bore, just use a dowel to bump it into the bore and push it through and out the other end. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnny2

Hey Head0001-

Is it possible to slug the bore with a round ball is a lead slug better to use?
Yes you can use a roundball. Get a wooden dowel rod that is close to bore size. Insert the dowel rod from the other end of the barrel(I usually slug both ends if I have a open breech). Push the rod up to about 3/4 of an inch from the end. Put a good oil in your barrel, not too thick, but make sure you get full coverage. I prefer Kroil oil. I use a short wooden dowel to drive the lead(slug, or roundball) into the bore. I also use a wooden mallet, and I tap the lead in. You could probably pound it in, but I try to do it gently.

Then all you have to do is turn the barrel over and drive the ball and long wooden dowel out of the barrel(use the shorter rod that you drove the roundball in with), Tom.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

The price jump is down rite ridiculous, there's not that much copper &/or lead to justify that type of price jump, come on............ What we as hunters need to do is start using companies which give the best price.......
Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Stock up w/ all you can... Remington ammo just went up 10% @ the distributor level and all the others will follow suit. There are several things causing this. High demand for copper, brass and lead overseas, fuel costs to transport product from the factory to the distributors and then to the dealers and the war. These are just what I'm aware of.
Ammo prices went up 5 times last year and Remington is the first go up again this year...
Buy now and be prepared.
Primers if you haven't noticed have almost been impossible to get. I'm referring to small and large pistol/rifle in federal and cci. Shotshell primers have not been a problem however. #11 cci primers are avail again.
I don't expect prices to drop...
Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see Bass pro has not followed suit yet. Regular hollowpoints are still $14 per 20. Platinums are $17
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHills

Stock up w/ all you can... Remington ammo just went up 10% @ the distributor level and all the others will follow suit. There are several things causing this. High demand for copper, brass and lead overseas, fuel costs to transport product from the factory to the distributors and then to the dealers and the war. These are just what I'm aware of.
Ammo prices went up 5 times last year and Remington is the first go up again this year...
Buy now and be prepared.
Primers if you haven't noticed have almost been impossible to get. I'm referring to small and large pistol/rifle in federal and cci. Shotshell primers have not been a problem however. #11 cci primers are avail again.
I don't expect prices to drop...
Steve
I am not buying it. If what you said was true then all boxes of ammo would go up the same amount. There is no more raw material in aregular box of ammo versus a premium box of ammo. So why would a regular box go up $5, but premium went up $20. It is an old fashion screwing. Plain and simple. They just have a good excuse. OH OH it is the war. Horse Puckey. Tom.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

check around with your ma and pa gunshops (not the ones around me) they may still have some ammo, bulk bullets, and other things on hand before the last price hike. Not most of the ones around me. I keep a good eye on them. they raised prices on the stock that they already had on hand.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

I do not use powerbelts but all ammo has jumped. I bought 2 boxes X18 of the Knight (Barnes) Poly tipped for $17.95 the week after Christmas. They are now $ 23.95 a friend says. I am going hunting this weekend in Alabama and there is a very good sporting goods store on my way. I called him and he is not raising his prices until he starts paying more for his. He is saving me 6 boxes of the Knight bullets and 10 boxes of 17HMR. Great people.