Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 humidity effects on powder >

humidity effects on powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

humidity effects on powder

Old 12-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: humidity effects on powder

Best thing to ever happen in Illinois was the check station!!! We did away with them a few years ago, and I garauntee the amount of deer illegally harvested has sky rocketed!!!! I wish we could in some way get them back!-----------------Not a silly thing at all!

Anyway back to humidity, I don't think humidity should affect your ML hunt whatsoever! The thing you should worry about is your barrel sweating, that's when you bring your gun inside from the cold outside, that's when moisture can penetrate your powder no matter what powder you are using! The only way to prevent it, is to somehow leave you ML outside, so that there is no drastic temp. change. I leave mine locked up in my buddys pole barn. Once I load it and go outside with it, it never comes back in, until the end of the season. Our seasons only run for a maximum of 4 days.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

check their deer in? Thats silly. In colorado, If you hunt in an area thats marked as CWD, You can take it to the DOW and have them check the head for the disease for $5 and if it comes back positive, they reissue a new tag. Does ohio require this check in so they can count the #'s of deer taken each year?
Ohio requires a deer be temporarily tagged before moving it,then transported to a check station for a permanent tag (metal tag) to be attached. Same with wild turkey. You are required to have a tag number for any meat or parts (antlers, hides, etc.) in your possession. It not only provides the DNR with a count on deer harvested, but gives a little legal room to DNR officers in catching and prosecuting poachers. (sometimes a good thing, sometimes a way to harass suspected violators - a bad thing if they're innocent)
Within a day or two of the end of any season (archery - gun - muzzle loader - controlled hunt - youth) they have exact numbers for the amount of deer (or turkey)harvested.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 PM

I'll be sure not to hunt ohio
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

check their deer in? Thats silly. In colorado, If you hunt in an area thats marked as CWD, You can take it to the DOW and have them check the head for the disease for $5 and if it comes back positive, they reissue a new tag. Does ohio require this check in so they can count the #'s of deer taken each year?
YES..They also keep stats on age, antler mass, and presence of disease. It essentially helps the ODNR determine next years seasons and bag limits.