Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Ideal Humidity for storing guns and powder >

Ideal Humidity for storing guns and powder

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Ideal Humidity for storing guns and powder

Old 02-06-2002, 12:59 PM
bigcountry

Default Ideal Humidity for storing guns and powder

Guys, I have been storing my guns, primer, and powder in my browning safe. I was concerned about humidity so I bought a cheap little digital humidity gauge. For the past week, it is 33% and about 25% with a fireplace crankin. What is the ideal humidity and what level would you be start being concerned? Now in winter time, the whole house is dry but in the spring and summer, is when humidity goes up significantly.

Old 02-06-2002, 06:47 PM

Default RE: Ideal Humidity for storing guns and powder

Bigcountry,
For human comfort about 50-55% is good. So I'm guessing the same for firearms. As far as a good tool for testing humidity a sling psychrometer is very accurate. The higher humidity in the summer would be more detrimental to the primers and powder than the lower humidity. If you use A/C in the summer this should keep your house at an acceptable humidity level.

Rem. 222
Old 02-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The lower the humidity the better.The labels on all powder,primers and ammo always say a cool dry place.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:20 PM

i think with all sythetic stocks lower would be better but with wooden stocks i wouldnt drive it too low. you might cause damage that way too.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool and dry is what I was told when I started loading .
Old 02-08-2002, 05:50 PM
bigcountry

Guys, I understand the cool and dry part. It been written on shells for better part of two decades or more. I just hear from some people that they have had their guns rust on them in safes. This is the first year I have ever stored my guns or powder in my safe and was wondering if someone knew a hard number (humidity and temp) that they meant when saying "Cool Dry place". I mean, dry is a realitive thing. People in Arizone might think, humid is 40%, but here in the east coast, 40% is a walk is dry. See what I am sayin?

Old 02-08-2002, 05:52 PM
bigcountry

Guys, I understand the cool and dry part. It been written on shells for better part of two decades or more. I just hear from some people that they have had their guns rust on them in safes. This is the first year I have ever stored my guns or powder in my safe and was wondering if someone knew a hard number (humidity and temp) that they meant when saying "Cool Dry place". I mean, dry is a realitive thing. People in Arizone might think, humid is 40%, but here in the east coast, 40% is dry. See what I am sayin?

Old 02-09-2002, 05:04 PM

Bigcountry,
You should be okay on storage of your guns. I assume you keep your home at a comfortable temp. 68-78F. Short periods of high humidity like rainy spring days shouldn't cause your guns to rust. We have about the same climate conditions where I live.
Like I said in my earlied post A/C does a good job of removing moisture from the air. If you don't use A/C you might want to invest in a dehumidifier or some type of dessicant for your safe.

Rem. 222
Old 02-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The closer you can get to ZERO humidity, the better, for ammo, powder, etc. Same for guns, unless you have wooden stocks, which can shrink or swell excessively depending upon moisture content of the air. Then, it's up for grabs!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:54 PM

eldeguelo,
To get all the moisture out of the air you would have to store them in a vacuum.

Rem. 222

Quick Reply: Ideal Humidity for storing guns and powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.