Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly >

How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly

Old 12-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to use a Powerbelt Bullet Correctly

and most SKS RIFLES have 1000yd sites on them to,ever tried to shoot that distance with one.

i'm tellin you what works for me and my friends . slow is better for a powerbelt copper clad,the platinums may be different.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

and most SKS RIFLES have 1000yd sites on them to,ever tried to shoot that distance with one.

i'm tellin you what works for me and my friends . slow is better for a powerbelt copper clad,the platinums may be different.
No, I am absolutely sure I would not even be able to see the target. Agree with you on the slow with regard to PB at <100 yards. Chap Gleason
Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Spike

I have had some success using powerbelts but it was with a NEF "In-Line" Muzzleloader with 2 BP pellets ( 100 grains) with a ignition cap. Dropped the deer in their tracks and one I had to reload for and I will say the Powerbelts work well with a "quickloader". I just don't think they work that well in the T/C Firestorm. You need a fast twist barrel < 48" to stabilize them in flight just like with a rifled barrel slugun.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Spike

My experience with PBs is rather limited but, FWIW, seems to agree with what frontier gander's posted. To date, I've not killed anything with them, however.

I had no luck with PBs in my TC Greyhawk until I went to 80 gr. of Pyrodex P. That load shot very well in the Greyhawk, better than anything else in fact. None of my PB loads using RSshot nearly as well. I always attributed it to the fact that the Pyro P, with it's faster burn rate, slammed the back of the bullet harder than the slower powder and expanded the bullet lead into the rifling grooves better. But that's just conjecture on my part.

I started out with the lead PBs (no copper cladding). They would lead up a barrel something fierce unless you loaded them with a fair amount Crisco up around the nose of the bullet. The copper clad bullets are not jacketed. The copper is there only to prevent barrel leading. There's not enough there to control expansion.

In my .54 slow twist (1:70) GM barrel, the 295 gr. .54 PB over 90 gr. RS shoots to the exact same zero at 100 yds. as does the .54 PRB over 90 gr. RS. And it does it with equal accuracy. When hunting with this rifle, I always carry a few for quick reloads. But .54 PRB effectiveness being what it is at shorter ranges, I've never needed a PB for a second shot.
Bob
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Did some testing yesterday with the deer creek .45 and the 225 grain powerbelts.

70 grain charge, the bullet weight should be 0.5oz, just forgot to put the 5 in there.

After looking at the 100 grain charge bullet today, i noticed the nipple at the base of the bullet was starting to come up through where the hollow point was and pretty much the bullet was turning inside out.

http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePow...a572d71de55931