Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

45 CAL POWERBELT BULLET

Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Default 45 CAL POWERBELT BULLET

I have been shooting a CVA .45cal muzzleloader for 3 years and have always used the Powerbelt bullets. I have killed 2 deer this year with it (one today) and neither was a pass thru even at less than 15 yards with absolutely no blood trail. I heard the deer crash this morning and that was the only way to track him. I need a new bullet. And I am shooting 150 gr of Jim Shockey's Gold. What bullet should I use in the .45cal?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45 CAL POWERBELT BULLET

try a shockwave, that is what i'm switching too. the 3 bucks i've killed in the last 2 years with my muzzle loader had the same results you described. imo, powerbelts are worthless but some hunters love them.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 AM

THANKS I'LL TRY THE SHOCK WAVES.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LSUBOWHUNTER

I have been shooting a CVA .45cal muzzleloader for 3 years and have always used the Powerbelt bullets. I have killed 2 deer this year with it (one today) and neither was a pass thru even at less than 15 yards with absolutely no blood trail. I heard the deer crash this morning and that was the only way to track him. I need a new bullet. And I am shooting 150 gr of Jim Shockey's Gold. What bullet should I use in the .45cal?

If your .45 is shooting the Powerbelt good there is no need to change. Your using too much powder!! 150gr of any powder will explode that Powerbelt on contact. Seriously, Go down to the Blackpowder Forum and there is a bunch of guys that shoot Powderbelts with success, they are all gonna tell you your using too much powder. There is also a bunch of guys that do not like the Powerbelts. It's just personal preference. I use a solid copper bullet made by Barnes but that is by choice in my CVA 50cal.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Powerbelts for me...before that I shot the Hornady XTPs
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love the powerbelts I have. 195 grain 45 caliber. I'm shooting 100 grains of powder.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem. As a matter of fact this is a well known problem. Lowering your load to 100 grains may help some but the problem is the type of bullet. Shockwaves may do the same thing. If you want a better blood trail and a bullet that mushrooms on contact with flesh, you can use the Barnes MZ Expander or the Nosler Partition Muzzleloader bullet. Both of those use a sabot and are as bit different from the Powerbelt. I ordered mine from Midway USA I could not find these in stores. You can check in stores for some of the Knight Bullets, I see someof themareBarnes bullets. Good Luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with the270 gr. 50 cal. Power Belt has been similar at very close ranges. The bullets I recovered last year from two "close" shots indicated total jacket separation and substatial fragmentation of the core. I still like them because they group well out of my set up. When my supply is used up I am going to try a Hornady sabot type. Do great out of my cousin's Savage 10 ML.

Geaux Tigers !!!LSU Class of 1970, BSEE.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO..I'LL TRY DROPPING DOWN TO 100GR OF POWDER AND SEE IF THAT WILL WORK BETTER. I LOOKED FOR THE SHOCK WAVES TODAY BUT ONLY FOUND THEM IN .50 CAL. THERE'S NOT MUCH OUT THERE FOR THE .45CAL IN STORES. AND I WILL CHECK OUT THE BLACK POWDER THREADS. THANKS TO ALL.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

LKNCHOPPERS is correct. Barnes and Nosler are the best two ML bullets on the market right now. I have about 8 or 10 hunting loads and none of them are Powerbelts. Much better bullets out there.

Quick Reply: 45 CAL POWERBELT BULLET

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.