Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 put the triumph to the test this weekend >

put the triumph to the test this weekend

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

put the triumph to the test this weekend

Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: put the triumph to the test this weekend

Notto pile on, tie you to a tree andbash you with a shovel...

I would say that 1.5 hours wasabout an hour too longto wait to verify the result of your harvest attempt. While there are always mitigating circumstances (I once shot anddouble lunged buttoo far backa deerthat afterwards, crossed a river.It took me two hours to get back to where I could get to my boat then get back to where the buck crossed to the other side. After another40 minutues of tracking I found the buck still alive and immediately shot him in the head behind the ear). I felt terrible and still do about that and still relive how I perhaps could have made a better and more effective shot.

The point is that I do understand your rationale, but having another tag in your pocket does not take precencene for properly caring for your previous harvest attempt.

Everyone should do their utterbest to ensure not only the cleanest but also quickest harvest possible.

Enough said.

M2C,

Tahquamenon

Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

What everyone is trying to say is..... You SHOULD have put another shot into her when you found out that she was still alive. If you were close enough to see her still alive, you should have put another in her. That animal suffered for an hour and a half. Absolutly a horrible, painful death for that animal. Our part as hunters is to put that animal down and kill it quickly. Your job as a hunter, that day, was to put another shot into it to kill it After finding it and seeing that it was still alive.

Let me tell you a story from last year.

I was hunting with my inline that year and a 385 grain great plains conical. I had it sighted in 2" high @ 100 yards and forgot. The bullet broke the spine and it required a follow up shot. After shooting it at a meer 20 yards the second time, i put the shot through the shoulder, But at the angle the shot was, it missed all vitals and took out the windpipe. Seeing her just laying there with her head up and her eyes full of life still, My brother used his sidearm and shot her in the head to put her out of her misery. Why let an animal suffer for a few minutes, let alone an hour and a half?
Im sure you learned now than when you find the animal still alive and active, Put another shot into it!

We've all made mistakes, This one im sure you learned from and will know what to do the next go around.
i know you're going to take hits from other members, But i forgive you and just hope you've learned from this horrible experience and will know what to do the next time around if it should happen again.
No hard feelings.
did you not read my post? i did shoot her again, through the neck. i don't understand what the heck you all are finding fault for. some may say i waited to long to look for her, yeah whatever, ok. in my defense i thought she was dead based on the aftermath of the shot. so immeditaly upon finding her still alive i shoot her in the neck. then she gets up and walk off. what the heck is wrong with that? should i have wiped out my knife and take off running after her? second time i find her she's dead. end of story. I don't want you forgiveness cause i did nothing worng. i could give 2 s**ts what some of you may think. i wasn't even posting for the statement of killing a deer. i was posting to report about the damn gun. i have no regrets about my hunt at all. i didn't make any mistakes. this is absolutly redicouls.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

250 grain shockwave? No wonder it took so long for it to die! Every hunting show i watch these deer take off and then they dont start tracking them for an hour. I now see that you were reporting on the gun. You also reported the failure of a sabot bullet. After you shot it in the neck to kill it, The deer got back up and ran off. So now that i "see the light" I would use a new bullet and find one that performs.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Talk about piling on! Maybe ask for some clarification before busting on a guy! I never took his first post to mean that he just watched and waited until it bled out because he did not want to waste another shot.

I know when my daughter shot a buck we waited a full half an hour before getting out of the blind. Why? Because it was her first shot at a buck and if she did not hit it good I did not want to bump into property we did not have permission to track it into. Unfortunately that is right where he ended up... this was after tracking him for a total of 4 hours where his 2nd river crossing took him onto property we had know idea how to get to and was being actively hunted. Talk about being disappointed!

Stuff happens sometimes... I have given my daughter instructions not to leave her stand when hunting alone until I get there. She is to note where the deer was when shot and the direction it ran off to... then she is to reload and if while waiting on me another deer comes by and she has another tag to be filled to go ahead and fill that one to.

I have no problem with a hunter trying to fill another tag if he has it and is sure about his first shot...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

250 grain shockwave? No wonder it took so long for it to die! Every hunting show i watch these deer take off and then they dont start tracking them for an hour. I now see that you were reporting on the gun. You also reported the failure of a sabot bullet. After you shot it in the neck to kill it, The deer got back up and ran off. So now that i "see the light" I would use a new bullet and find one that performs.
Like a Powerbelt?

outdoorsman, hey man, that stuff has happened to just about everyone and if it hasn't happened to them it will. Don't sweat it. I can tell your intentions were honest. I will say though, I've learned by reading thousand of posts on this site, people love to critizie and critique. Some genuinely care about helping you become a better hunter, others I think just like to jump on people. Don't worry about it.

That being said, sounds like that Triumph did the job. Glad to hear you like it and it works well for you.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Nope TN, When you take my advice, The powerbelts drop'em and they dont run 50-200 yards. Also only require one shot.

"I've learned by reading thousand of posts on this site, people love to critizie and critique. Some genuinely care about helping you become a better hunter, others I think just like to jump on people"

Ever read my powerbelt posts? While most offer ZERO help, Im there Telling them the proper way to shoot them and be sucessful.

In this case, The bullet failed him. How can you or any one else deny that?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

MLKeith

I think the message here is although most of us have had a similar experience it is better not to publish things that can be read by the anti-hunting group and used against us.
Bingo - that's is exactly what I am/was trying to say...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for understanding what i was merely trying to convy. i didn't want to start any banter. and yes i do believe people are quick to try to point out something somebody did wrong which is not far to do esp if they don't know or understand the whole story. i never would have guessed it this topic would have gone this far. as far as I'm concerned it's over.
I'll leave it at this and continue my playing with loads and rifles and asking questions.
Triumph-good gun esp for the money. to bad the over priced pro hunter doesn't have weathershield on it.
shockwave-i'm still undesided on the bullet. 6deer have died with them but could another bullet be better??? maybe. i like the design of the barnes but not the areodynamics of them for longer ranges. inside 125 and it's good, if it flyes good for you.
i want to try the poly tip barnes 250s. but being solid copper i don't know, in my own head, how it can expand in the rifling as well as a lead core bullet.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorsmen

i want to try the poly tip barnes 250s. but being solid copper i don't know, in my own head, how it can expand in the rifling as well as a lead core bullet.
I am not a Barnes fan, but I know and I will tell you that they work and work very well. Driving the poly tip starts the expansion and the liquid effect of your target will complete it.

I shoot Nosler 260 grain Partitions, even thought they are not areodynamic I would not hestitate shooting them to 175 aiming right at the target. I shot a little buck last year with one at 180 yards - all worked realy well - bullet went in just in front of the left shoulder, passed through the chest cavity and came out behind the right shoulder. Everything in the cavity was dark red jello.

While I consider areodynamics as important (the bullet's BC) it certainly is not like a centerfire bullet shooting out there 3/400 yards.

A 250 grain Bonded Shockwave has a BC of .197
A 300 grain Bonded Shockwave has a BC of .239
A 290 grain Barnes has a BC of .240
A 260 grain Nosler - BC .174
A 300 grain Nosler - BC .199

mike
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear the good feedback on the T/C Triumph. It certainly handles well. A bit barrel heavy, but not bad.

I want one but my director of finance has limited my budget until further notice (After Christmas). Plus, she already knowsabout the Encore I bought earlier this year (claiming I needed the "parts" story failed as the "parts" just happened to resemble a fully functional Encore) .

I am thinking of thinning the herd a bit and liquidating a few ML's for a couple of new ones. Perhaps the Triumph will be added to the collection in 2008.