Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weekend FPB Test

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weekend FPB Test

I took the new Genesis out over the weekend. Load was 100gr pyrodex RS with Hornady FPB.

Saturday AM I got in the cottonwood stand at about 6:40. None too early with the 4-5" of snow cover, making it seem lighter that it should be at that time. This stand is on the edge of a corn field facing into the woods.

At about 8:00, two deer came by at about 100 yds. Could have shot but I was not sure if I was looking at a doe and fawn, or two fawns that I have been seeing in that area. By the time I figured it was a good doe and a fawn there was no shot. Thought I might see them again though.

At 9:30I looked over my shoulder to the south and I saw a deer jump the ditch at the south edge of the cornfield about 100 yds away. It was a doe moving like it was spooked by something, not just walking and feeding. It was not going to stop, so with a good rest on the old cottonwood I put the crosshairs out in front of the deer and let it come across. When the front of the chest hit the vertical crosshair I squeezed off the shot. I heard the old BOOM-WHAP that means a hit. The deer took 5-6 bounds and dropped. The deer was a yearling (18 months old) doe, about 90 lbs dressed.

The shot was 80 yds. The FPB hit the ribs, maybe clipped the nearside shoulderblade or just behind it, and exited. Two 50 cal holes and a good bloodtrail, not that it mattered too much on snow.

Anyway, two "firsts" for me - first deer with the Genesis, and first deer with an FPB.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Weekend FPB Test

Congrats on the deer.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the doe. It sounds like someone with his Genesis is proving to the rest of us Genesis owners how good a rifle they really are. It sounds like that FPB did a good job. Them young does are sure good to eat.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks - I'm happy with this rifle, especially for the $100 it cost me after the rebate. And this deer will be some very good eating. For a deer its size, it had a lot of internal fat, so it was in great shape. Nothing against those that grind their deer, but people are amazed at the flavor of the hind qtr steaks and loins from these crop-fed deer. Dang, now I'm hungry.

I've firedthe rifleseven times now, 6 at the range and one shot Saturday. I've only tried FPBs so can't vouch for accuracy with other bullets, but the FPBs do shoot well.

I plan to carry this gun more during the rest of the season and hope another test opportunity is inits future.I want to try a shoulder shot to give the FPBs a better penetration test. Couldn't pull that off on the moving deer though.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Well shooting a moving deer is tricky at best. I've done it, and will be the first to say, it is hard. Especially with a muzzleloader. As you only got the one shot. And mistakes can happen. Its a little different when I used to walk with my Remington 742 woodsmaster carbine in 30-06. We could make the woods scream with that little thing.

We have a pretty good snow storm going here, so I am going to rest up, and head out later. Try to catch one in its bed. How knows I might get lucky.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go UncleNorby. I agree about those young does. Everyone wants to shoot a buck, but when it comes to table fare, I'll take a yearling doe any day. Good shooting!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

UncleNorby

Congrats on the harvest...

but I have a question... in your post you say...

The shot was 80 yds. The FPB hit the ribs, maybe clipped the nearside shoulderblade or just behind it, and exited. Two 50 cal holes and a good blood trail
You also indicate the bullet may have only touched some bone so I am wondering if you felt you got any expansion from the FPB as you indicate 'two 50 cal holes' further what internal damage occurred? I guess I am hoping that the bullet did not pencil though the vitals but created enogh 'hydrostatic shock' to blow the internals up.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to check the rib-cage to see if I hit any bones. I don't thinkI hit the shoulder blade.

The exit hole was perhaps larger than 50 cal, but not much. I don't think there was much if any expansion.

There was some lung damage, and there was a neat hole through the top of the heart. Nothing that you would call "blowing up of internals" though. I never really see that with ML bullets. I have only shot deer with.54 cal maxiballs and now the FPBs though.

I am not concerned about the lack of expansion with this shot. My objective is to get full penetration to give 2 holes to create a blood trail. I want a bullet I can drive through the shoulders, as I hunt a couple spots where I don't want them to run off. I hope to test that at some point this season.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby
My objective is to get full penetration to give 2 holes to create a blood trail. I want a bullet I can drive through the shoulders, as I hunt a couple spots where I don't want them to run off. I hope to test that at some point this season.
Yep, "stong bullets" do the job, I am very interested in your assessment of the FPB. Chap
Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

UncleNorby

I am not concerned about the lack of expansion with this shot. My objective is to get full penetration to give 2 holes to create a blood trail. I want a bullet I can drive through the shoulders, as I hunt a couple spots where I don't want them to run off. I hope to test that at some point this season.
I understand that perfectly - I am just wondering because the bullet I have been using does as you indicate... goes in with a .452 hole comes out with a .750+ hole but on the way through the chest cavity it actually hanges the lungs and the heart to jello - even if you do not hit all three. For instance a double lung shot will reduce both lungs and most of the heart to jello - while a heart lung will disolve the heart and the lungs. I think this degree of tramatic shock to the animal helps you get a very sudden end.

And then on the other hand.... this last 3x3 that I shot - I made a terrible shot and shot high in the back over the hind quaters. The bullet completely broke it's back and parts of the hip joint on both sides of the animal. The bullet did pass through and it did put the animal down on the spot - but it did take a second bullet into the neck and spine to end the movement or if I could have done the bow hunting thing and just waited - it was a dead animal either way.

Quick Reply: Weekend FPB Test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.