Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Friday question/reply of the day... >

Friday question/reply of the day...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Friday question/reply of the day...

Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Friday question/reply of the day...

There won't be any over the weekend guys. In response to yesterdays:

Articap, I knew someone would see I left the nipple wrench out. It was on the list, my fault.

Lomoyne, I understand aboutnot really needing theflask and definately about NOT pouring directly from it. Just thought it would be better than toteing the whole container of BP around.

Cayugad, I 'm going with round ball to start and will probably stick with it for a bit. What is bore guide, Istupidly assumedthat was something specific for In-line, don't ask me why ? And, what it 91% alcohol and windshield washer fluid used for? Thanks

PS: cayugad,does your username have anything to do with Cayuga lake in up-state NY?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Friday question/reply of the day...

ORIGINAL: BKE

Cayugad, I 'm going with round ball to start and will probably stick with it for a bit. What is bore guide, Istupidly assumedthat was something specific for In-line, don't ask me why ? And, what it 91% alcohol and windshield washer fluid used for? Thanks

PS: cayugad,does your username have anything to do with Cayuga lake in up-state NY?
A bore guide is a small attachment you slip on your range rod.

That is a bore guide. The ramrod is kept centered down the bore of the rifle so the loading/cleaning jag can not scratch the side of the bore... they are not an absolute Ineed this item, just handy to have.

The 91% isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid, if you mix them 50/50 they make a good cleaning solution as well as they displace moisture in the bore of the rifle so a patch can dry it faster. When I swab a barrel, I use this mix as my swabbing solution. Just lightly dampen a patch, swab the bore and then a couple dry patches. Have you ever washed a window and watched the fluid disappear with the first swipe of your drying cloth? This same thing happens in the bore of your rifle. So you not only get a clean bore, but it drys faster leaving less chance of contamination of the next powder charge. In my traditional rifles, I swab with pure Isopropyl alcohol. I find that I get less hangfires and misfires...

They word Cayuga does indeed indicate the area of upper New York State. But it has nothing to do with my screen name.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

BKE: I don't know if anyone has already suggested this, but I have always found it handy to pre-measure a few loads and carry them in small containers in the field. That way, you can forget about a flask and a measure when you're hunting. I have used pill bottles, film canisters and various other small bottles. I have recently switched to "speed loaders". They can be purchased at Walmart and other stores, or ordered from Cabela's, etc. They will hold your charge as well as your projectile for each load. Some also will hold the cap or primer, depending on what type you get. Some have a very short starter built in, and then you push the bullet down with your ram rod.
They come in different colors for different calibers (so the bullet fits snugly and doesn't rattle around). Mine also have a pocket clip so I keep one clipped right in my shirt pocket with extras in my fanny pack.

Good Luck

Old 11-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=356548

in my other post I had a picture of a bore guide, but for some reason it did not hold over when I posted. This link will take you to a bore guide.