HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Friday question/reply of the day...
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Friday question/reply of the day...

ORIGINAL: BKE

Cayugad, I 'm going with round ball to start and will probably stick with it for a bit. What is bore guide, Istupidly assumedthat was something specific for In-line, don't ask me why ? And, what it 91% alcohol and windshield washer fluid used for? Thanks

PS: cayugad,does your username have anything to do with Cayuga lake in up-state NY?
A bore guide is a small attachment you slip on your range rod.

That is a bore guide. The ramrod is kept centered down the bore of the rifle so the loading/cleaning jag can not scratch the side of the bore... they are not an absolute Ineed this item, just handy to have.

The 91% isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid, if you mix them 50/50 they make a good cleaning solution as well as they displace moisture in the bore of the rifle so a patch can dry it faster. When I swab a barrel, I use this mix as my swabbing solution. Just lightly dampen a patch, swab the bore and then a couple dry patches. Have you ever washed a window and watched the fluid disappear with the first swipe of your drying cloth? This same thing happens in the bore of your rifle. So you not only get a clean bore, but it drys faster leaving less chance of contamination of the next powder charge. In my traditional rifles, I swab with pure Isopropyl alcohol. I find that I get less hangfires and misfires...

They word Cayuga does indeed indicate the area of upper New York State. But it has nothing to do with my screen name.