Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The Rifle by Gary Paulsen >

The Rifle by Gary Paulsen

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Rifle by Gary Paulsen

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Rifle by Gary Paulsen

Frontier...What you need to do is go out, buy a barrel and make a flintlock...Drill your touch hole through the barrel and then try it, then you will learn something...I've shot them and built them since the mid 70s...The Germanic countries, where they were rifling matchlocks by 1550 started using touch hole liners by the late 1600s...Go out and buy Shumways books on Colonial rifles and you will see many with touch holes, same with John Biven's book on NC rifles...

Once you drill your hole and find out about the delayed ignition, I'll tell you how I make my touch hole liners so the gun will fire as quick as a percussion...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Im sure there were, However a darn good # of rifles im sure did not have a touch hole liner due to extra cost and the normal poor american couldnt afford the extra. Did the poor american have the funds to replace a barrel once he "shot it out"?? Or did they do like the author says in the book and have it re-bored to a bigger caliber because it was cheaper? Wernt sabots also around in the 1500's? Thats the arguement inliners use when a state outlaws the use of sabots.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Barrels were cut off when the breach was ruined from shooting, or muzzles worn from the muzzle end from loading and cleaning...They were also refreshed (rifling) and rebored (recut and re-rifled), the gunsmith would make a new bullet mold as well....

No, sabots were not avaliable in the 1500s, with a round ball a sabot isn't necessary....There were a few inline flintlocks made in Europe, but they never caught on...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got my copy of the book yesterday and read it last night.
If I would have picked it up and read it with no knowledge of the contents before I read it I would have thought it a very entertaining, perhaps slightly incorrect on facts of rifle construction, but entertaining anyway.
With the thought of anti-gun having been planted in my mind by some of the replies to this thread, I can easily see how that perception came through.
Still enjoyed the book, but the negative comments took away from it's character. [:@]