Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question about hunting in the rain >

Question about hunting in the rain

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about hunting in the rain

Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about hunting in the rain

Hey, just a quick question for those of you with some experience regarding this. Tomorrow is the opener here in Ohio, and the forecast looks just awful. I'm still planning on going, but I was wondering if getting a modern ML wet will cause problems with firing. I know it's an issue with traditional guns, but do any of you have any tips? I did go once last year in a friggin' downpour - small hurricane was more like it - the rifle got very, very wet. Only way it could have gotten more wetwould have been dunking itunderwater. When I tried shooting it at the end of the day to see what would happen, it did fire, but there was a noticeable lag time between when the primer went off and when the powder ignited - like POP..........BOOM! Any advice would be appreciated. I'm shooting a modern bolt-action in-line, by the way. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about hunting in the rain

Most people put some type of rubber covering over the end of the barrel. I use "muzzle mitts", but others use small ballons or finger cots (available at any drugstore). You do not need to remove these to shoot, just shoot through them.

For the breech, I have never used a bolt action. There are some things that wrap around and protect this area. Seems like some people even use saran wrap. However, in some states, the breech must be open to the weather, so check your regs. Never leave anything over the barrel end or breech overnight if possible because they will hold moisture against the barrel and tend to cause rusting faster. Every night I remove them and apply oil to the barrel as needed.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

oldsmellhound

Think everyone will tell you about the muzzle mitt, either regular store bought black rubber boots or the cheaper Wal-Mart finger cots... I do prefer the black mitts the rubber is slightly thicker and stronger.

The other area I try to protect is the nipple area. Most #11s probably fit tight enough you do not have to worry about it much - but I still do - so i wrap mine with plastic wrap - you know that packageing wrap that is a bit sticky and come in a roll. It really is just like saran(sp) wrap. I roll up several feet of it on a small diameter wood dowel and carry it with me. When I think I need to I pull the hammer back and wrap the nipple area with a couple of wraps. You do not need to remove it to shoot just pull the hammer back and let it drop. It does blow a decent hole in your wrap when it goes off but it makes it really to get off.

Here is a pic... It also shows a commercial #11 cap wrap but I can not find these anymore - but they were really good.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

What are you shooting????

With my flinter, I just keep it up under my coat...With my Knight Disc, I just put duct tape over the bolt area...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Getting the powder wet is more of an issue with inlines loaded with sabot than with a traditional with #11 caps.
I once won a 10 dollar bet by submerging my hawken barrel in a creek and the pouring the water out and putting it back on the gun and firing it. Lee
Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice - I'll probably use some saran wrap to keep the action dry, and find something to cover the barrel. They're calling for an inch of rain tomorrow, but it looks like I'll try and tough it out.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldsmellhound

If nothing else use a piece of saran wrap to cover the muzzle, use a rubber band to hold it in place... You also could substitute a baloon stretched over the muzzle - lot people just put black tape over the muzzle.

This is package deal of Muzzleloader's Rain Gear....

Old 11-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I was told they make a handi wrap that seals to itself. You can actually make a baggie out of it just by pressing it together. You just press the two sides together and it is sealed. That to me sounds like just the ticket to sealing a muzzle and a breech. Next time at the store I am going to look for some of it and do some testing.

In the mean time, I have finger cots for the muzzle.On a traditional rifle, I put a tire valve stem cover over the #11 nipple and close the hammer down on that. On my Flintlocks, I have a piece of leather that I sprayed with "Camp Dry" that I lay over the lock as I sit. It repells water real nice and stays so I can lay it over the lock. On my inlines, I normally do very little. My Knights seal up tight on their own. I have put handi wrap over my Black Diamond XR. The CVA Staghorn, the few times I hunted with it, there was really no snow or rain. Some handi wrap I am sure would have kept the breech just fine on that as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Really, if you use a tight gresed patch and put a bit of hot wax on the sides of the nipple and the threads of the nipple and have a properly fitted breach plug to start with and the cap fits right its good to go in any weather for the first shot. Lee