Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bow Hunting in the Rain Question >

Bow Hunting in the Rain Question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow Hunting in the Rain Question

Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Bow Hunting in the Rain Question

I have a question for anyone that has has bow hunted in the rain. I amnew to bowhunting and have never really hunted in the rain before (our opening day is saturday and its looks like its supposed to rain). I was wondering what your experiences have been with hunting in the rain, as far as the deer patterns go? Do they typically stick to the same patterns? Do they bed down? Does the rain really have any effect on them at all? Just was wondering how deer patterns change when its raining if they change at all. Thanks everyone - Josh
Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Bow Hunting in the Rain Question

The only time I have seen rain affect the deer is when it is pouring. Then they don't move much. Good luck
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I Dont do it because of the rain washing a blood trail away
Old 10-12-2005, 08:30 AM

During the rut, if its raining I will sit all day, I seem to have good luck. I think it gets the biggn's movin early.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 AM

along that its not pouring ill sit in my stand, this buck that ive been hunting for 2 years i seen him once last year walking in the rain just out of bow range,
Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 AM

I love a drizzle ! I'll sit i my stand in the morning . Until about 9:30 . Then the stalk is on . The wet ground is very quiet and that is the best time to still hunt . If you dont know still hunt does not mean standing still . It means quietly , slowly stalking through the woods . I'll make my way to the edges of thickets trying to catch a buck bedded down . I have had good luck with this tactic . I often come across a deer browsing slowly and have a good opportunity for a shot . Other times I may jump a deer , but if your being quiet and slow they often will not jump up and run right away again giving you a shot oportunity . If its pouring I try to stick it out , unless it is ridiculous . Deer often move after the rains slows or stops .
Old 10-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will not archery hunt in the rain. If I'm fortunate enough to score on a big buck, the last thing I want to do is loose a trophy because the blood trail has washed away.