Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rain gear question.....

Old 05-23-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Rain gear question.....

So I'm wanting to purchase some quality rain gear this year. I'm looking at a few, and wondered what you fine folk are using and why.

I don't want anything carbon lined as I don't want to keep tossing it in the dryer, deteriorating the waterproofing....

I would kind of like something w/out any real insulating qualities either as I would use this all year. What say ye?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 AM

Default RE: Rain gear question.....

Check out Rivers West! Best rain gear I have ever seen. Kind of spendy, but worth the money!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey mobow, I bought some from cabella's about 6 years ago. It is good stuff and has held up well, its suede(quiet), packable (non-insulated) and is awesome when it is windy too!!!!! I did not get the scent lok stuff, hell i don't think they had it then. Here's the link
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat600855-cat470082&rid=&indexId=cat470082&navAc tion=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&par entType=index&parentId=cat470082&id=001247 2
Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some Frog Toggs last year in camo (APG) and really love them. Of course, it doesn't get that cold down here so if you are up north you may look at something with a lining.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have a set of these and I like them alot, they can pack into your pockets and i was out in some downpoors last year and I stayed dry

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat470082&id=0026486932271a&navCount=2&amp ;podId=0026486&parentId=cat470082&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&r id=&parentType=index&indexId=cat470082&amp ;hasJS=truenot to mention you can get them for half what I paid last year [:@]
Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas MTO 50.

I have had mine for9 years now. The pattern has not faded and it is still 100% waterproof. I have the non insulated jacket and pants. I wear them any time it looks like it could rain or snow. I probably wear them 80% of the time when I hunt. Very durable. They are not bulky but plenty of room to layer underneath. They will pack up into their own pocket if you wish. Dead quiet material.

I wore them on an Alaskan hunt where it rained steady for 10 days straight. I stayed dry the entire time.

I don't think there is better rain gear on the market. Well worth the money.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

Over here in New Zealand this is the jacket thats held in the highest regard, its waterproof, comfortable and best of all breaths well, so you dont get sweat making the inside damp during high exertion.

http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/W...r/Wapiti-Coat/

AND you can actually buy them cheaper in the States than we can here where they are made!
Old 05-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no easy answer on the rain gear question.Finding the right rain gear has been a multiple year pursuit for me.I had rain suede from Cabela's and had purchased it because it was quiet and relatively soft material,I returned it because it wet through in hard sustained rain.The MT050 is similar but better because it is goretex lined,the rain suede is dry plus lined.When these materials get wet from sustained rain they get very heavy and quite difficult to dry out.If you are backpack hunting they will be difficult to dry out.If you are coming home at the end of each day that wont be an issue.
I currently have three systems that I use depending upon the elements.A rain shadow jacket from patagonia and rivers west gators.The jacket weighs next to nothing so packs easily,it has pit zips for breatheability,the only area exposed is the area between the top of the gators and the bottom of the jacket,with whipcord wool pants on which have great insulating properties even when wet this works very well.
I have paclite goretex pants and jacket from Cabela's,they are excellent so far they have worked really well in hard rains,they are light,easily packable and dry quickly at the end of the day without a heat source.
For serious hard continuous rain nothing beats pvc rain gear,Helly Hansen Impertech is what practically all theAlaskan hunters and guides wear.I use PVC rain gear by a company called Dutch Harbor Rain pants and a 3/4 length jacket.They are light and relatively very quiet.They see a lot of use when hunting is sustained hard rains day after day.
Seeking the Holy Grail with rain gear is very difficult.Thinking that you will find rain gear that is quiet and breatheable and will keep you perfectly dry is close to impossible to accomplish.
I have owned Rivers West both the original and the next generation lighter version and the stuff gets incredibly heavy when wet and you will sweat your a-- off in all but very cold conditions if you are covering any ground while wearing it.
I am intrigued by the Sitka gear down pour series clothing,it is very expensive close to $500 for the jacket and pants.I have a hard time justifying that kind of expense,I would have to see it,try it on etc. before I could be tempted to spend that much on it.The systems I have work well and are relatively reasonably priced.
If you have an interest in checking out pricing on any of the stuff I use let me know and I will give you the particulars as to where I found the best deals.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rivers west is awesome but if your going for cheap, my frogg toggs work great
Old 05-24-2008, 11:36 AM

I also use the Cablela's MOTO 50. Unlined camo parkas are best, IMO, even for cold weather. It's all about the layering underneath. The breathable waterproof stuff is the cat's meow for here in Colorado. I have, however, heard that Alaskan guides favor the rubberized non-breathable rain gear. I guess the rain is "wetter" up there? We get lots of wind driven rain here, but it rarely rains for days and days.

Quick Reply: Rain gear question.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.