Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Where do you recommend a newbie look.... >

Where do you recommend a newbie look....

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where do you recommend a newbie look....

Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Where do you recommend a newbie look....

for info in getting started besides here. I know that there is a wealth of info to be gotten herealong withgood friendly advice/ribbing as well( both of which I will take advantage of ), but to keep from flooding the forum with questions initially (because I have so many) can someone recommend a good book or manual that would walk me through getting started (and something toreferance at the range) ? I'm talking where to start with powder loads, suggest ball weight, differances in caps if any, and cleaning (field and total take down soak in the tub). I've been sitting on a kentuckey style 50 cal. kit rifle for long enough, time to go have some fun. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where do you recommend a newbie look....

With that rifle you have.. see if you can find the book;

Muzzleloading - to begin with by Don Davis. It has to be one of the most down to earth books on flintlocks and percussion rifles there is. He takes you through step by step of everything. I had the book for years, and its been my go to book when I can't figure something out. Perhaps some book store or check Half.Com - they sell lots of books cheap. I buy them all the time through there. Normally they even have the hard to find books.

Otherwise there are tapes out there that can walk you through it. Check the maker of your rifle for a manual for that rifle. Normally they have good information. Even a Thompson Center Manual for a Hawkins has excellent information in it. See if T/C can send you one. They have a lot of step by step instructions in there as well.

And do not be afraid to ask questions. If you don't want to post a topic just PM one of us. Most are glad to help you out.