Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hunting season so far >

Hunting season so far

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting season so far

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting season so far

I am on my third week off and I have an anterless elk tag to fill but with all the snow melted it is getting to be a tough hunt. In week one I bagged a moose and passed up many deer and a bear and in week 2 I spent the better part of the week deer and moose hunting in Saskatchewan with my brother. Had lots of fun (it has been years since we hunted together) and seen 12 cow and calf moose and a pile of deer but nothing big enough to put a tag on.

this is week 3 and I am still married. Missed a decent 135 buck at 50 yards and passed up a mule deer doe that I had tags for as it was on land that I did not have permission on. Seen a herd of cow elk on land I had permission to hunt but the wrong zone (on the draw system for cows). Just starting to rattle and call in bucks and had limited success so far.

On the 1-10 scale this year has been a 10. I have been hunting solely with the Hawkens and have not taken the rifle out. Still have nine deer tags to fill though! Life in Alberta is great with its long hunting seasons.

Just a quick note to bring everyone up to date. I would be interested in your stories.

Eric
PS: found a great spot on the top of the world to bow hunt bull elk next August, lousy with bull elk sign.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting season so far

Shooting a moose would be a real good start to the season in anyone's book. Congratulations.

Now all you have to do is find the one you want... good luck.