Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Harvestor Crush Rib >

Harvestor Crush Rib

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvestor Crush Rib

Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Harvestor Crush Rib

I use only real black powder in my guns as they are flintlocks. My rifles are sighted in for a first shot on a clean barrel andswabbed between shots until a patch comes out clean. Some are roundball barrels and some are fast twist sabot barrels.

I load with patch/ball or sabot/bullet and then run a saturated with lube cleaning patch down the bore on my jag so it gets just a real thin coating of lube in the bore ahead of the load. Helps keep the fouling soft and improves accuracy and velocity in my opinion. I never tried the crushed rib sabot but intend to someday; I order direct from MMP for the sabots I currently use.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Regulars on this forum have seen the many things I've tried to get my Mustang shooting tight groups. After a LOT of experimentation, I settled for three inch groups with my best hunting load. See http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2406810&mpage=1&key=&#240681 0

I read the same thing on the Crush Rib package. In my last two range sessions - with the same load I referred to in that post - I began wiping the barrelwith a patch lightly dampened with Rem-Oil after I load the bullet. My group averages have shrunk from and average of 3" to an average of 1 & 1/2". I'm gettingthe best 5-shot groups I've ever gotten. As of now its my standard procedure. The bonus is that I'm sighted in for clean barrel hunting and can leave the load in the barrel forever without worry about rust.
Semisane.....did you notice any difference in the fouling ???
Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane.....did you notice any difference in the fouling ???
Seemed to be about the same - maybe a little softer but I wouldn't swear to it.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Some seem to shoot well with the crush rib sabot. My Prohunter didn't care for them. It shot all over the target. I was really dissapointed,because,it loaded so easy with them. My gun seems to favor a tight fitting sabot/bullet combination. I'm going to try the lube method on it,if we ever get a decent day to shoot. The last two have been very windy.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Wind has been blow here since sunday 15 to 30 mph It sure doesn't make ood shooting conditions.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

rks1949, they are to loose to shoot good in my Omega to but when my Triumph was to tight for the MMP-HPH24 I tried them and they are snug but will load smooth and shoot better than the ones that are to tight. they are the only sabot I have found that will shoot groups in the 3/4 to 1.5 inch group range with it the thicher sabots are impossable and the HPH24 are real close to pound down. Lee
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 AM

lemoyne,Yup! I wish all the BP guns would get "standardized"! Heck I almost believe no two have the same bore size,even if they are the same model. Ihad big hopes,that the crush rib sabotwould work in the Pro Hunter,but not mine. My friends Pro Hunter shoots great with them,go figure! I also tried the Super Glide T/C sabots with the bonded shock waves,and gotthe same results. My gun will shoot the standardShock Waves,using the supplied sabots (loads kinda hard,but tears one hole in the target),and the Shock Waves using the HPH24 sabots ( not quite as good grouping,but still under two inches). IfI ever get a good day to shoot (no wind),I'm gonna try Redhawk's method of bore butter on the sabots,and see if my gun likes that combination.