Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Red Crush Ribs

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Red Crush Ribs

Has anyone used the Harvester .50 caliber Red ("Smokless Powder")Crush Rib sabots in anything other than a Savage with smokless powder? Sabotloader's picture chart shows them at .508 diameter when loaded with a .452 bullet.I suspect I could load them in my loose barrel Mustang with my favorite 300 grain Gold Dots, because the GDs load pretty easily with hph-24's.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Red Crush Ribs

Semi

If the 24 is sloppy then maybe the HPH-12 might be a better fit, or even MMP regular black sabot- it is not suppose to be a HPH but it is nad that is the sabot that a lot of the Savage folks are using. It work really well for me in my White .504. I amthinking a getting some of those red 'cr's' but have not made the move yet - I guess cause I have not figured out why I need them....

Did you see that BH is down to 24.95 fer 10 oz's some place on line????
Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!!! Semisane.. that's a heck of a price. You better jump on that fast.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

semi, don't give in.[8D]
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, I get my best accuracy with regular Harvester short sabots which are not real tight. Theyload about the same as the hph-24's. My second best sabot for accuracy is the regularregular crush rib, and they load even easier than the shorts and hph-24's. I did load some hph-12's a little over a year ago. My notes show that they were "tight loading - require firm two hand push on ramrod", butthe groups were twice the size of the easier loadingHarvesters. I haven't figured out why I need the red crush ribs either, butit may be interesting to play around with them.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm trying to hold on Corey, but am beginning to feel a Disturbance In The Force. Yeah, Sabotloader and Cayugad, I saw that price on the Midsouth flyer. Still gotta pay hazmat fee though. If I could buy it locally at that price I would "probably" give it a try.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can get it locally, had the money today to get some. bought an trail cam.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

What's your local price on BH Corey? The only place around here that carries it is Cabala's and they still have the $37.99 price on it. No way will I pay that.

Trail cameras are lots of fun. I have two and have almost as much fun with them as I do with muzzle loaders.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

$39.99, I bought an cheapy trail cam, 49.99. figured I get more use out of it.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

He's starting to cave in Sabotloader...

Actually the more posts I read on BlackHorn 209, the more I am wondering if I was just lucky and the stuff worked fine for me. I know the other powders work great and as for cleaning.. well that happens. Live with it. But after reading about hangfires, misfires, and such.. it really does make me wonder if I jumped on their bandwagon too fast. My Disc rifle really liked the powder. But I read how people are drilling out their breech plugs, and I did have to scrub to get that carbon off mine.. I think maybe Semisane might be right. The other powders out there on the market work fine. And have worked fine for many years...

Quick Reply: Red Crush Ribs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.