Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 going with the wolf >

going with the wolf

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

going with the wolf

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default going with the wolf

I am going with the cva wolf. I have read alot of great reveiws and over all it seems like a great beginner gun and maybe a long time favorite. the only question I have is does anyone have problems with the sabots leaving plastic in the rifling? I read this somewhere and want to get more feedback. thanks and I appreciate all the help.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: going with the wolf

The new sabots leave little to no plastic fowling. Beside, if you brush the harrel once in a while with a brass bore brush and some solvent, it will solve all of that as well. I shot hundreds of sabots out of some of the rifles now, and never noticed plastic fowling.

Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the very same gun recently and don't have anything bad to say about it. It's got to be one of the best deals in hunting since you are getting something that will surely put down a deer for so very little money. I still have another month and a half before our ML season, but I'm looking forward to hunting with it. The thing I was impressed most about it was how little recoil the gun has shooting 100gr worth of pellets. It's recoil feels like nothing compared to even a smaller-bore centerfire rifle.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice This is what mine will do at 50yds. 100gr Pyrodex pellets and a 300 gr Barnes MZ Expander

Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

And here it is at 100 yards, same load. The top picture I cleaned before each shot. This photo started with a clean barrel and just shot no cleanings between.........1,2,and 3 were right in there and the last three started to open up.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Spike

just wondering, how high are you hitting at 50 yds?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sewerdude

just wondering, how high are you hitting at 50 yds?

Sewerdude, If your asking that question of me, that tartget is a 6 inch diameter Shoot-N-C. So, roughly 3 inches high.I used the black Harvester Crushed Rib sabots instead of the sabots supplied. Also the Barnes MZ Expanders are sold by Knight under the Red Hot name. I'm heading out this wekend to check my tree stand and take some firewood down to where I hunt. Three weeks away so I'll shoot it one more time just to see. Might have to tweek the scope a little seeing that was shot this summer when it was warmer.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Had mine for a year. They'll handle just about any load ya put in em. I will warn ya that if ya go with magnum loads in this gun, you are in for a beating but I figure that is true for any gun.