Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Final tune of the White for season >

Final tune of the White for season

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Final tune of the White for season

Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Final tune of the White for season

This was the final tuning of the White Ultra Mag. I had the scope sighted in at 50 yards and decided to up that to 70 yards. I shot the first group under the tape and was surprised that a simple 20 additional yards would make that 500 grain conical drop that far. So I adjusted the scope and then got it hitting the tape for the next ten shots. At no time did I swab the barrel between shots. I just loaded 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and a BullShop 500 grain Conical and used some CCI Magnum caps for ignition.

I then wanted to see what the rifle would do at 100 yards but was to lazy to push the bench back there and reset up, so I took my shooting sticks and lawn chair and shot that other group. Again, an additional 30 yards and it start to drop that big conical even more. But over all I was pleased with the shooting and think I might be able to give a deer some trouble should they come within 100 yards of me.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Final tune of the White for season

Them four-legged critters are in for a world of hurt. Nice shooting!
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Got the final tune of the Mustang also. Our ML season opens Nov. 10th. Something's going down!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 PM

You are set. When does WI ML season start? I am using my savage 10ML-II during firearms season in MN. Season opens this coming saturday 11/3. I am excited as, with a couple times out shooting the past month I was getting 1-1.5 moa @ 100 yards and right around 1.5-2moa @ 200 yards. I am sure that she will shoot better than me, but not worried as I am not likely to get a shot over a 100 yards anyways.
Have fun and good luck!
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

November 17th through the 25th I believe it is for the modern season. Then muzzleloader season starts right after that. Also there are a lot of youth hunts, and CWD hunts, and special anterless hunts this year. You almost need to carry a calander around just so you know what to hunt.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been playing with lightweight bullets and sabots in my Umag. Just can't make myself like the things. Think I'll take it back out and tweak it in with one of my conicals (Shorts or 460 grain NEx Bullshops or 496 grain Trashcans).

But in case I don't get back out, my mini Umag (.451) is ready - dead on at 100 with the 420 grain Bullshops.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Looks great Dave, you should have some back straps in no time...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Were those paper plates? what size? What did you lube the BS conicals with? I have found natureal lube makes the crud ring go away with patched balls.

Nice shooting
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Those are the 9" dinner plates with a 1" blaze orange dot in the center. That inside ring on the plate is 5-1/2 inches I believe. The other 3-1/2 inches is the upper curve of the plate. They make a perfect target actually. For some reason that dot never scans or photographs its true color. As for the lube BullShop uses, I think it is his #2. A real good lube.

The 100 yard group shot off the sticks measure 2.42 inches. The 70 yard group is hard to measure because I shot so many bullets into it. But if you measure the original five shot group in the bottom of the plate, it measures under an inch. Therereally is three different groups on that 70yard target. There is a group on the bottom of the tape and one on the top of the tape as well. The group on the bottom of the tape measures just over an inch but I really can not remember the order of the hits in the upper mess.

Something strange happened yesterday I still can not explain. I was shooting Pyrodex RS with sabots, and the Pyrodex was not producing fowling. In my Wolverine LK-II I fired I believe it was six sabots in a row before I swabbed. They the sabots were just sliding down that barrel as slick as could be.. I should have tested more of that today, but was having so much fun shooting big conicals.