Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do you leave the hammer cocked back?? >

Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

[quote]ORIGINAL: big rockpile

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

Well this would be all fine and dandy,but I don't like letting the Hammer down on a Primer of a Loaded Rifle,no matter how easy you do it.Seems you always stand the chance of slipping and hitting it too hard.

big rockpile
That is the neat thing with the Knight KRB. With the pivoting hammer safety you can let the hammer down and it does not hit the firing pin as the activation part of the hammer pivots out of position when you thumb the hammer either cocking or de-cocking. I plan to carry mine loaded primed and the hammer down but de-activated. I then cock the hammer with the finger on the trigger to bypass the sear click and when finally fully cocked slip the pivot up and it is ready to fire. Even if you slip off the hammer with the trigger pulled it will not go off as the hammer is not activated without an upward push on the pivoting hammer insert. Then there is the standard cross trigger safety too which I probably will only use when traveling to my stand or leaving. Some are complaining about the hammer safety but I think it is a good idea.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Ok didn't know this.There is so many Safeties that its hard to keep track of whats going on.

big rockpile
Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

If your gun has a seperate safety that is in good condition then I don't see any problem carrying it with the hammer cocked. Like said earlier, you should take the cap off when climbing up or down from a stand ( or going over a fence ). With virtually all modern guns you carry them with the hammer cocked and the safety on ( you just can't see the hammer ). When carrying a Colt style semi auto pistol it is called cocked and locked. Just make sure the safety really is safe.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Traditions Pursuit Pro has a cross-bolt safety in the trigger guard. If I remember right it can't be cocked with the safety ON and if cocked it can't be fired with the safety ON. I never carry it with the safety on since I carry it with the hammer down. I would say it would be safe to cock it and then put the cross-bolt safety ON once in the stand or blind. Not really any different than havinga "hammerless" design gun with a cross-bolt type safety, except you can visually see the hammer.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mayguy

Just make sure the safety really is safe.
Just arguing the devils advocate here, because it's a worthy point to make.

A "safety" is a mechanical device of moving parts, as is a trigger, as is any type ofaction, as is an 18 wheelTractor Trailer.

Mechanical devices beingsubjects of failure at the most inoportune times, it's tuff to say a firearm safety is truely safe.

Gun Safety 101................