Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts

Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelts

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Camocop - if your shooting 245 grain powerbelts with good accuracy and three pellets, perhaps something like a 250 -300 grains range in Nosler, Speer, or Barnes might also give you excellent accuracy, wound channels, and pass through.. just a thought.
my rifle seems to like the 3 pellets, so that's what i'm going to try next year. i'm going to stay with the 3 pellets but switch to another bullet that will stay together.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Camocop - if your shooting 245 grain powerbelts with good accuracy and three pellets, perhaps something like a 250 -300 grains range in Nosler, Speer, or Barnes might also give you excellent accuracy, wound channels, and pass through.. just a thought.
my rifle seems to like the 3 pellets, so that's what i'm going to try next year. i'm going to stay with the 3 pellets but switch to another bullet that will stay together.
Since your staying at 150g, I would consider the 300g SW (bonded and unbonded) and the Parker Ballistic extreme also in addition to the Nosler, Barnes and Gold Dot, both of those bullets were very accurate for me.
Best Wishes on finding your right bullet, keep us posted on your experience.
Chap Gleason
Old 10-26-2007, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

every muzzleloader i have shot with 150 grains of pyrodex,777or shockeys gold has lost accuratcy . groups have went from 1 1/2 -2in at hundred yards up to 4-5in when using 150grns . where we hunt i really don't see the need for over 100 grns of any powder.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

every muzzleloader i have shot with 150 grains of pyrodex,777or shockeys gold has lost accuratcy . groups have went from 1 1/2 -2in at hundred yards up to 4-5in when using 150grns . where we hunt i really don't see the need for over 100 grns of any powder.
Camocop, SRWshooter has a good point most MLers are designed to shoot the best right around 100g, usually 90 to 110. I understand you want to stay with pellets, but drop down to 100 and see if your groups stay the same. You may have a rifle that like the mag charges. It saves a bit of money and recoild is a whole lot less. Chap Gleason
Old 10-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

Same here... The most I've ever used is 120gr. That was pushing a 350gr (I believe) Maxi-Hunter huge chunk of lead out of my carbine.

I guess If your were hunting elk or something atlong ranges you might need the 150gr.

chris
Old 10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

CamoCop,The one load that will shoot under an inch with 150 gr 3 pellet load in my Omega is the 200gr 50/40 Shock Wave it holds 2 inches at 150 for me. Lee
Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

i started out using 777 and quickly determined it sucks in my gun. i gave what i had left away and bought pyrodex. that in itself tightened my groups up by 50%-70%. like i said, i tried 100 grains and wasn't happy. the powerbelts shoot great on paper in front of 150 grains but don't hold together when in contact with meat. maybe heavier powerbelts? after all i was only shooting 245 grain aero tips
Old 10-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i started out using 777 and quickly determined it sucks in my gun. i gave what i had left away and bought pyrodex. that in itself tightened my groups up by 50%-70%. like i said, i tried 100 grains and wasn't happy. the powerbelts shoot great on paper in front of 150 grains but don't hold together when in contact with meat. maybe heavier powerbelts? after all i was only shooting 245 grain aero tips
If you wanna shoot a PB like bullet that holds together try this:

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabertooth.htm

My brother switched to these from PB 295g platiuums in his TC Encore shooting 3 pellets of 777. If you will consider easy loading sabots I will give you some suggestions, for long range shooting:
bonded SW 300g
Barnes TMZ 295g
Parker Ballistic Extreme 275g,

for shorter range shooting:
Nosler Partion HG 300g or .458 rifle bullet 300g
Speer Gold Dot 300g

If the sabots are too tight to go down easy, try some MMP 24's or Crushed rib with the bullet. Sabots are only $5 for 50 at MidSouth Shooters supply. Buy a bunch, so you can try different combinations. You want tight but not pound down the barrel tight. Swab between shots.

The 300g bullets have better BC,penetrate better and have more down range energy. Look what the 45-70 boyz shoot in their Sharps. That is my logic.
Chap Gleason
Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have been ML hunting these last 2 weeks. i shot a 6 point last week and my dad shot a 6 point the week before. we both had the same results with powerbelt bullets. the bullets put the deer down but did not stay together and expand like they should, instead they exploded and fragmented throughout the vital area. we could not find any piece of his or my bullet when cleaning the deer (there was no exit holes). his deer was shot at 15 yards using 150 grains of pyrodex and mine was shot at 67 yards with 150 grains of pyrodex. has anyone else experienced this? i like using powerbelts because of their accuracy, ease of loading and simplicity.
Obviously the bullet was moving faster than its design parameters were intended for. Maybe if you dropped back to two pellets instead of three, it would perform better. Of course, if you do that, you will get a steeper trajectory, making long-range hitting more difficult. So you have to ask yourself whatMAX RANGEdo you need to be prepared for. Another option, which you mentioned, would be to go to a heavier bullet. IMO, the 295-grain is about the lightest Power Belt to use in a .50. Lighter ones are too big around for their length. This will very definitely affect penetration! I have heard that the ArrowTip style penetrates much better than the hollowpoints. The plug in the hole tends to delay mushrooming.

In addition, IF you get really good accuracy at 150 grains, (MANY DON"T), you will need to check out how your rifles shoot with just 100 grains.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a nice doe with the 245 Areo Tips this year, using 2-50gr. Pyrodex pills. This load shoots nice in my CVA Wolf. Penetration? Hard to say...shot it thru the neck, so yes, I did indeed get a pass-thru.........

Quick Reply: Powerbelts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.