Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelts

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

When you are muzzleloading you are handloading each shot so you need to put some thought into the projectile used....

Folks that use PowerBelts like them for 2 reasons...They load easy and they don't have to clean between shots to load the 2nd...

Because PowerBelts are made under bore size they squat so the bullet is able to catch the rifling in the barrel....There are 2 problems with this...They must be made out of pure lead to be soft enough to do this and manufacturers of muzzleloading rifles have not agreed on a standard bore size for their rifles...So 2 .50 caliber bores can be several thousands different......

Since PowerBelts have to be soft, if you use a lot of powder or shoot deer at close ranges they can come to pieces easier than other bullets...So you do not get an exit for tracking....

In addition, since a .50 caliber PowerBelt is shorter than a .45 caliber in a sabot, the .45 will fly flatter with the same powder.....

We have better bullets avaliable to us then PowerBelts, use them...
Well said nchawkeye, makesperfect sense. Chap Gleason
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Camo, here is my first & only experience with Powerbelts (245 gr copper hollowpoints to be exact). Last week I shot two Deer in Georgia and I dropped them both on the spot, although neither shot punched all the way through.I only recovered one bullet which struck a doe through the spine and into the lungs and it retainedthe majority of it's weight to my satisfaction. I was shooting a CVA Optima/ 100gr of T7(2 pellets). To be honest, whileit accoplished the desired task, I felt that at least one of the rounds should have gone through & through.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

the group that i hunt with all shoot 100 grains of either 777 or pyrodex pellets. we have killed over 125 whitetails in the past 8-10 years. most have been killed with 295 powerbelts. i have killed 30 some myself and have yet to see a bullet come apart.
Amen for you, many have the same experience. Do you look for all bullets in the expired deer? Have you lost any animals? Do you only take broadside bow shots? Chap Gleason
chap, yes we always look for the bullets in expired deer,sometimes they pass thru ,sometimes they don't. we have lost only 1-2 animals ,most don't go out of site before dropping. and ,yes we always try to take good broadside shots at reasonable distances.i use PB'S because,yes tthey load easier,they also shoot great in all of our guns. last yr before the season 5 of us shot one time at 100yds with 5 different ML'S and we all shot at a the same 3in dot . we shot a 2in group with 5 guns and 295PB'S. they kill good and they shoot good so what more could you ask for. i just bought 200 295 copper hp last week at 21.30 for 50 thats as cheap as any sabot
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Your right Gander I hate powerbelts so much I'm lying about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

chap, yes we always look for the bullets in expired deer,sometimes they pass thru ,sometimes they don't. we have lost only 1-2 animals ,most don't go out of site before dropping. and ,yes we always try to take good broadside shots at reasonable distances.i use PB'S because,yes tthey load easier,they also shoot great in all of our guns. last yr before the season 5 of us shot one time at 100yds with 5 different ML'S and we all shot at a the same 3in dot . we shot a 2in group with 5 guns and 295PB'S. they kill good and they shoot good so what more could you ask for. i just bought 200 295 copper hp last week at 21.30 for 50 thats as cheap as any sabot
srwshooter, They Kill good for your and your group, to me that means you know how to use them (not too fast) and they are expanding and hitting well at mostly broadside shot. That is great. Most folks that shoot them are one weekend or two ML hunter that shoot 150g of 777 and are way over charging them. Best Wished this hunting season. Chap
Old 10-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

You say it didnt exit. How far did that deer travel?

Powerbelts perform best when using 80-100 grains powder.

Not sure if you've paid attention on the board but there have been many posts on here advising people not to use 150 grains with powerbelts. Powerbelts come with recommended loads and 90 grains is one of the max loads.

As for a 348 grain powerbelt blowing up on a deer, I honestly dont see that happening. Ive shot many of the 348's at rocks, railroad ties, stumps, and they've expanded to the size of a silver half dollar with little to no weight loss.

Used a 225 grain powerbelt and it did an amazing job.

Guess i should try one of these bullets on a bullet proof whitetail?

my dad's deer dropped, mine ran 100 yards
Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

i also tried sighting in using only 100 gr(2 fifty gr pellets) but could not group well through my rifle. our ML season is only 2 weekends, so i am not wanting to go all out and get scientific with it. with that being said, shooting loose powder is out of the question. all i'm looking for is an accurate bullet that will maintain most of it's integrity in front of 150 grains (3 pellets).
Old 10-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son and I have shot six deer with 245gr PB Aerotips using 80gr of 777. All were complete pass throughs so we could not recover and examine the bullets. All deer died quickly. One big doe did manage to run about 70 yards. I like them so far.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

My son and I have shot six deer with 245gr PB Aerotips using 80gr of 777. All were complete pass throughs so we could not recover and examine the bullets. All deer died quickly. One big doe did manage to run about 70 yards. I like them so far.
same bullet i was shooting, 245 gr. aerotips except i was shooting 150 grains (3 pellets) of Pyrodex which groups very well out of my rifle.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Camocop - if your shooting 245 grain powerbelts with good accuracy and three pellets, perhaps something like a 250 -300 grains range in Nosler, Speer, or Barnes might also give you excellent accuracy, wound channels, and pass through.. just a thought.

Quick Reply: Powerbelts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.