Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lube Between Shots? >

Lube Between Shots?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lube Between Shots?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lube Between Shots?

Hey guys. Just opened a new package of Harvester Crush Rib sabots and noticed the back of the label card contains the statement "TO CHECK RIFLE FOR ACCURACY, CLEAN AND LUBE BARREL BETWEEN SHOTS".

I checked the packages of Harvester's regular high pressure sabots and that statement is not on the card with them. I wonder if that recommendation applies only to crush ribs, or is just not ontheotherlabels becausethe design of the other labels was set up before they started making crush ribs, and they added it to the crush rib card.

I just about always wipe with a wet patch& a dry patch or two between shots, but have never lubed between shots. Now I'm wondering if I have another experiment to conduct.

Anyone out there tried lubing between shots??

Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lube Between Shots?

There are some that do lube the barrel with a light oil after they load the sabot and projectile. I personally do not, but might try checking it out to see what happens. In other words they swab and dry the barrel, load as normal, but then with a very light oil patch swab the barrel down to the sabot. I have read they claim it helps in accuracy.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

I dont either. But Im relatively new to ML so what do I know .
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

I do lube using pre-treated patches from Traditions. They are yellow and smell like Ben-Gay. I canalways load easily and accurracy is great. Clean up after the day is a snap and the barrel is not affected since there is no buildup like you would get with pastes. The patches are not wet but feel slick, I usually got up and down and turn it over and repeat. Not sure why it works so good but it does. I tried not using it once to see what would happen and I could not even load the bullet. This seems to help my guns greatly. Of course all guns are different and it really is up to you, but you should be doing something to prevent fouling and mis or even hangfires.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Several years ago I was working up a load for my Knight inline...I was cleaning with rubbing alcohol between shots and my groups were getting worse...
I switched to cleaning and then lightly oiling followed by a dry patch and my groups came together....

I would not lube with a lube in an inline, oil only...
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Hey guys. Just opened a new package of Harvester Crush Rib sabots and noticed the back of the label card contains the statement "TO CHECK RIFLE FOR ACCURACY, CLEAN AND LUBE BARREL BETWEEN SHOTS".

I checked the packages of Harvester's regular high pressure sabots and that statement is not on the card with them. I wonder if that recommendation applies only to crush ribs, or is just not ontheotherlabels becausethe design of the other labels was set up before they started making crush ribs, and they added it to the crush rib card.

I just about always wipe with a wet patch& a dry patch or two between shots, but have never lubed between shots. Now I'm wondering if I have another experiment to conduct.

Anyone out there tried lubing between shots??

I use the crushed rib sabots in my Knight Disc and my Omega with 777 and Nosler Partitions. I use lightly patch of TC bore butter to clean fouling between shots, especially crud ring, which does the trick of lubing. However at the range I use 1 patch of alcohol/windex and a couple of dry patches between each shot. The crushed rib go down pretty easy in my bores and they are accurate. Gold Dots and Hornady XTPs300g shoot well in both rifles to 100 yards with these sabots, so I use them for target practice. I think every gun is different with regard to fouled barrel and accuracy, so one has to experiment to find the right combination that works. The crushed rib on .452 bullets are loose in my Savage causing loss of accuracy (.452 XTP and Gold Dot). Chap Gleason
Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that lubes his sabots with bore butter and gets good accuracy with his Knight.
He shoots, runs a "spit-patch" down & back followed by a dry patch, then drops the powder and rams a sabot coated with bore butter. Groups are about the same as with un-lubed sabots, but loading is a lot easier.
Come to think of it, I use lubed conicals, and lubed patches on round ball loads, what would be the difference?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot some loads today in my White .451 Mini Umag (Imade that name up )that will SHOCK SL. Yep, they involved recycled milk jugs. White PowerStar .40/.45 350 grain hp sp bt. And, to make the trauma even worse, some BM3 powder. Swabbed with alcohol patches after every shot.

Actually licked each sabot around the base circumferencebefore loading.

Results were not too bad, 100 yards, 5 in 1.7". No brag in that group but a decent one nonetheless. You have to shoot sabots ever so rarely just to know why conicals are SO MUCH BETTER.