Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lube or not lube conicals ? >

Lube or not lube conicals ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lube or not lube conicals ?

Old 02-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default Lube or not lube conicals ?

I’m going to try some of those 380 gr. R.e.a.l. conicals. I shoot a Thompson Center Hawken .54 cal. Is it important to lube the conicals? If so what do you use?
I have shot the lubed maxi-balls but was wondering if I could get away with out greasing them.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lube or not lube conicals ?

Yes it is important to lube the R.E.A.L. conicals. It will help to keep the bore of your rifle getting leaded up. Bore butter will work, Crisco Shortening will work, even a combination of wax melted andmixed with olive oilwill work.

I shoot them with 80 grains of 2f powder. Some people put a bore button under them and some don't. Only your rifle will tell you what you like.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Spike

Cayugad, Is a bore button the same as a wonder wad?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Dominant Buck

yes the same thing... you can make your own also with a hollow hole punch and some construction 100% wool insulation felt..
Old 02-26-2006, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: sam52

I’m going to try some of those 380 gr. R.e.a.l. conicals. I shoot a Thompson Center Hawken .54 cal. Is it important to lube the conicals? If so what do you use?
I have shot the lubed maxi-balls but was wondering if I could get away with out greasing them.
By all means lube them...in fact, I use a TC Pre-Luber that screws onto the end of a tube of Natural Lube 1000 made especially for lubing conicals...they're inexpensive plastic, available in .45/.50/.54cals.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Roundball..

where did you buy that thing? I have not really searched to hard for one, but have not seen them on the shelves in stores.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 AM

TC discontinued them years ago...had a fewof each caliber butsold off my .50 and .54cal Pre-Lubers as I neverused big caliber conicals.
I have a new spare .45cal like the one picturedstill in it'sTC blisterpac, $10 delivered within the 48 states).

Also, check EBay...seems like I've seen them there every now and then.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does that thing do a pretty neat job of it? I'm sitting here considering how to build one from tubing to use with melted home-brew lube. Is there just one entry hole into the tube for the lube?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

You would need to constantly remove melting buildup that hardens with those tubes - unless you use the soft stuff like Bore Butter at room temperature.

So Rich... when you are in the developmental stage of your new invention, be sure to include a cutter/shaver inside that removes all the hardened, previously melted lube (or) an aftermarket/includedtube brush that sheds the waxy buildup...lol []
Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Does that thing do a pretty neat job of it? I'm sitting here considering how to build one from tubing to use with melted home-brew lube. Is there just one entry hole into the tube for the lube?
They work perfectly, just as advertised.

Screwed down onto the tope of a tube of NL1000, a conical is slid in from the left into the lubing 'station' above the tube...your idea of a straight tube MAY work, but this aren'tstraight through tubes...they have a little design inside the tube that I'll call the "lubing station".

The lubing 'station' seems to be made up ofsome raised injection molded plastic ridgeslocated just so, whichI conclude keep the lube flowing up and around both sides of the conical, and not allowing it to just squirt left and right out each end of the cross tube...you can see the lube flow all up and around the conical.

When it's wrapped with lube,you slide in another conical, it forcesthe finished lubed conical forward out of the lubing station,and the new conical takes it's place.
Lube that one;
Insert another one;
Repeat;
etc.

When you push in the third one, the first one will drop out...Ilay a sheet of waxed paper down so they'llhave a place to fall without getting mess all over the table.....push a kleenex through after you're done and it's all clean.

I shot 2-3dozen.45cal Maxi-Hunters in one range trip after lubing them myself, accuracy was excellent, and there wasn't a bit ofleading.

Note:
If you're only going to do a few, you could probably do them by hand just as well

Quick Reply: Lube or not lube conicals ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.