Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Try the Triple 7 Magnums yet? >

Try the Triple 7 Magnums yet?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Try the Triple 7 Magnums yet?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Try the Triple 7 Magnums yet?

Anyone try these yet...what are your thoughts as far as accuracy....any idea why they made them?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Default RE: Try the Triple 7 Magnums yet?

Talked to local gunsmith he said the guy's that have tried them loved it.(of course)I can't see spending the extra money when my gun shoot's great with 100gr's of the normal T7pellet's.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

"
TRIPLE SEVEN MAGNUMS give you the capibility to make a longer shot and deliver more energy to the target. If you've shot Triple Se7en products before, you can expect the same easy clean up with no rotten egg smell. Using two Magnums you can achieve an additional 200-250 feet per second (fps). This normally results in muzzle velocities of approximately 2,000 fps.
Hodgdon specifically warns against loading more than 2 pellets per shot. Failure to do so may cause injury or death to the user and/or bystanders.
Used properly, this is an extremely safe high performance product.
While we are confident there are other muzzle loading rifles and saboted bullets that will acheive the 2,000 fps velocity, the ones listed below were tested by Hodgdon or the manufacturers and met or exceeded 2,000 fps with 2 (two) Triple Se7en Magnums.

The manufacturers that tested the new Magnums all commented on the superb accuracy as well as the increased velocity.
We wish you good luck in the field and thank you for supporting hodgdon brand products.
"

This is right from their website. I guess they just made some more potent pellets so they could stay with their two pellet max claim and give magnum performance.

I am happy as hell with 110g loose Triple Se7en in most of my magnum rifles. 80-90g in my sidelocks.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bryce M. Towsley of Rifleman magazine tested those pellets along with all the other black powder substitutes. Two TSM pellets gave a velocity of 1,850 fps in the Knight KRB rifle. 100 grains of 777 granular gave a velocity of 1,961 fps. Extreme spread and standard deviation was not as good with the TSM pellets as the 100 grain load of 777 granular.Maybe the TSM pellets are an invention looking for a need.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried them they were not very accurate in my gun they shot the biggest group of all the 777 loads I tried. Lee
Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again a manufacturer's proven that all they have to do these days is stick the word "Magnum" on the package and people will buy them for whatever the company wants to charge. And 2000fps? That's already more than possible with regular T7. Wonder how long it'll be before someone stuffs 3 of those in an older CVA and gets to meet Jesus a little earlier than planned? I pray not, but the world is full of stupid people...so I guess it's only a matter of time.

Mike
Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just noticed that the Savage 10ML-II isn't on their list of "approved" rifles, even though it could MORE than handle them. Wonder if it's because they're still ticked off because Savage skimmed off a little of Hodgdon's VERY lucrative Pyrodex/Triple 7 market share, or if they realize that no Savage 10ML-II owner in their right mind would use T7? Well, maybe a few would. I would still choose to own and use my Savage even if I wasn't "allowed" to hunt with smokeless.

Mike
Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

"And 2000fps?"

It ain't even 2,000 fps. According to the Rifleman tests the velocity is 1,850 from the 27 inch barrel of a Knight KRB.