Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2007 moose down

Old 09-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2007 moose down

Day 2 into the 2007 season (tuesday) and I filled the bull moose tag on a small bull. I had a bull grunting behind me and throughout the afternoon a cow and a bull infront of me. I went after the bull in front of me as they would not come out of the thick brush and ended up calling him into 50 yards where I took him through the lungs. .50 TC Hawken with 80 gr of Pyrodex with a 460 gr great plains bullet. I had to track him about 100 yrds through the bush, that is the tough part of hunting this time of year. Though I impressed my partner as this is year 2 that I shot a bull coming into me at under 50 yrds, last year it died at 10 yrds from me.

Went after elk north of home (Edson Ab) and got into the sign but that was all. Seen a couple of big bulls and a cow but was not drawn in that zone. Also had a small blackie in to 30 yrds (I could have shot him but do not really want a black phase bear) and got pitures of a bunch of white tails does. Pretty quite now till the Nov cow elk season just east of Edson.

Well that is I will only have 6 tags to fill with whities and mulies so I will have a little something to do.

Have a great and safe hunting season. I was unable to attach a picture as it may be to large of a file.

Eric

Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 2007 moose down

Congratulations on the bull moose... With that 80 grains of Pyrodex and the 460 grain conical, what kind of penetration did you get? I am always curious as to the kind of damage each projectile does and how well it performs. It always amazes me that even lung shot, those animals can run as far as they do.

Maybe post a picture of your moose.. that would be most interesting to see (if you have any). I moose hunted a couple of times, even with a guide, and never got a moose. Although members of our group did.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your moose gelarson!!!
You boy's out in Alberta are spoiled rotten.A buddy of mine lives up by Cold Lake and is always rubbing it in. One of these days I'm going to show up on his doorstep with two freezer in my pickup.

cayugad,
I know guy's that have hunted for years and never saw a moose, or least wise one that could be shot. I'm one of those guy's![:@]
It's the nature of moose hunting. Generally it is a party hunt with limited tags. Our group of 5 has two adult tags. Once they are used the hunt is basically over. If that happens on a Sat or Sun. well, it's bird and deer hunting for the rest of the week.
Hopefully, I'll be the one hollering for the tag this year!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a great hunt. Definately try to shrink the pic so we can check it out.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

It was a complete pass through, right behind the legs and it made a dollar coin size hole leaving the cavity.
I grew up in Saskatchewan but would have a hard time moving back due to the hunting in Alberta. Brother wants me to go deer hunting with him in Sask this Oct. during his early moose season but it is being negotiated with the financial dept (aka boss, wife etc).
I took the advise from this site and just went with the ghost ring in the rear peep.

Eric

PS; it was only a 1.5 yr old bull but good eats.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent.. thanks for the additional information. Sounds like you got some excellent expansion with that bullet as well.. Should be a lot of good eating there.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

You lucky dog. What is the weight on one of those, it seems like a lot of steaks could be had.