Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting the Savage 10ML this am >

Shooting the Savage 10ML this am

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the Savage 10ML this am

Old 09-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting the Savage 10ML this am

chap what was the temp difference between the earlier range session and this last one? How long did you wait between each shot? The sabot your referring to is is the HPH12 or 24? How does it load in your bore?

Reason for asking these questions is I found the packaged HPH12 with Hornady SST's to be tight and if the bore wasn't cooled& the ambient outside temperature was 70 and up that my groups started walk a little. My first fix was let the rifle cool 10 minutes min between shots on the warmer days. Then i tried some HPH24's and in my10 IIthey made the biggest difference. They still load snug but with not near the seating effort and heating isn't as much a problem. Though I still wait 5 min before loading and shooting.

I found the exact problem with TMZ's, I believe it is the sabot fit more then anything and the boattail design means a sub base in a MMP sabot if your rifle will not shoot the barnes TMZ packaged step sabot. I deceided it wasn't worth the hassle.I will be taking thesavage elk hunting with the 300gr SST, will be using IMR 4759 as the propellant, it just shoots sogood in my rifle with the SST's to ignore. Weleave in a week, sohoping I will be able to recount it's performance on a bull upon my return.

BTW nice shooting. Are you weighing or dipping the 5744??
Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting the Savage 10ML this am

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

chap what was the temp difference between the earlier range session and this last one? How long did you wait between each shot? The sabot your referring to is is the HPH12 or 24? How does it load in your bore?

Reason for asking these questions is I found the packaged HPH12 with Hornady SST's to be tight and if the bore wasn't cooled& the ambient outside temperature was 70 and up that my groups started walk a little. My first fix was let the rifle cool 10 minutes min between shots on the warmer days. Then i tried some HPH24's and in my10 IIthey made the biggest difference. They still load snug but with not near the seating effort and heating isn't as much a problem. Though I still wait 5 min before loading and shooting.

I found the exact problem with TMZ's, I believe it is the sabot fit more then anything and the boattail design means a sub base in a MMP sabot if your rifle will not shoot the barnes TMZ packaged step sabot. I deceided it wasn't worth the hassle.I will be taking thesavage elk hunting with the 300gr SST, will be using IMR 4759 as the propellant, it just shoots sogood in my rifle with the SST's to ignore. Weleave in a week, sohoping I will be able to recount it's performance on a bull upon my return.

BTW nice shooting. Are you weighing or dipping the 5744??
Yes I am weighing my 5744. I shot in the AM from 9am to about 10:30. I did NOT wait long between shots, when I felt the barrel getting warm I wrapped the barrel in a towel soaked in ice water.

I plan on useing my 10ML for elk in 2008 for exactly the same reason, it shoots so well is very accurate and the ML bullets pack some punch.
Chap