HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shooting the Savage 10ML this am (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/205469-shooting-savage-10ml-am.html)

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 11:09 AM

Shooting the Savage 10ML this am

It was 75 degree and beautiful this am. I shot 20 shots in all:
5 TC Bonded SW, 300g
5 Parker Ballistic Extreme, 275g
5 Barnes TMZ, 290g
5 TC SW, unbonded
all using the supplied sabot, all shot with 44g of Accurate Arms 5744, and using Remington Kleenbore Primers.

Here is the TC Bonded SW, which I shot first.

Sorry I put so many pictures which are repeat, the only way to get them all is to quote your previous post and keep adding to the quote. Chap

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 11:11 AM

RE: Shooting the Savage 10ML this am

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

5 TC Bonded SW, 300g
5 Barnes TMZ, 290g
5 TC SW, unbonded
all using the supplied sabot, all shot with 44g of Accurate Arms 5744, and using Remington Kleenbore Primers.

Then I cooled the barrel with towel soaked in ice cubes and shot the Parker Ballistic extreme:

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 11:12 AM

It was 75 degree and beautiful this am. I shot 20 shots in all, all at 100 yards (really 92.5 range finder yards):
5 TC Bonded SW, 300g
5 Barnes TMZ, 290g
5 TC SW, unbonded

Then I cooled the barrel with towel soaked in ice cubes and shot the Parker Ballistic extreme:

I then cooled the barrel again and shot the Barnes TMZ, 290g:

The best overall group was the Parker Ballistic Extreme, with about a 1.5" or1.75"group, I was supprised at the spread of the TC SW, both bonded and unbonded. The TMZ has not performed well in the rifle, most say you have to push it faster, which I will try. Right now, my fall load is going to be 44g of AA 5744 and a Parker Ballistic Extreme with a Remington primer.
Chap Gleason

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 11:14 AM

5 TC Bonded SW, 300g
5 Barnes TMZ, 290g
5 TC SW, unbonded

I then cooled the barrel again and shot the Barnes TMZ, 290g:

[img][img]
Finally I shot the Unbonded SW, which was the most accurate a few months ago (June I believe), now they were not so good:

meh101465 09-03-2007 11:15 AM

I think you;re well sighted in...................do you like the savage very much ????????. I need something with a better trigger than my cva hunter bolt .

frontier gander 09-03-2007 11:23 AM

meh, cva will adjust that free of charge. That is why rifles come with warrantys.

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: meh101465

I think you;re well sighted in...................do you like the savage very much ????????. I need something with a better trigger than my cva hunter bolt .
The Savage is the most accurate rifle I own, I can consistently group 1.5" at 100 yards with a couple of different bullets. Most bullets will group 3", several will group 2.5" and the ShockWave and the Ballistic Extreme will group to 1.5" all the time. The Savage has AccurTrigger and it can be adjusted from 2.5 to 7.5 lbs by you, not a gunsmith. I believe the Savage is an excellent MLer and I have a Knight Disc and a TC Omega, but the Savage is more accurate. I bought it for elk hunting in Colorado next October (2008), and I gave myself a season to get use to the rifle and select the right bullet for elk. I think the Ballistic Exreme will do the job and I know the gun shoots them well.
Chap Gleason

meh101465 09-03-2007 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

meh, cva will adjust that free of charge. That is why rifles come with warrantys.

its not broke , it just sucks...........about seven to eight lbs of pull to trip the trigger

not a problem if its the only gun you have, but all my others have been ajusted to 3.5 lbs .

the new savages come with the accu trigger dont they???

handled a new encore yesterday .wow .....saw the price tag WOW!!!!

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: meh101465

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

its not broke , it just sucks...........about seven to eight lbs of pull to trip the trigger

not a problem if its the only gun you have, but all my others have been ajusted to 3.5 lbs .

the new savages come with the accu trigger dont they???

handled a new encore yesterday .wow .....saw the price tag WOW!!!!
Yes, the Savage comes with Accu Trigger. Comparison of Encore Pro Hunter and Savage:

http://www.randywakeman.com/ballltd120.htm

The stock sucks, the barrel is heavy, but the gun shoots like gangbusters, if I was doing it again i would get a thumbhole stock. Chap Gleason

frontier gander 09-03-2007 11:41 AM

cva will lighten the trigger pull. I think 3lbs is the maximum that they will adjust it down to. Free of charge.