Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting the Staghorn for fun >

Shooting the Staghorn for fun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the Staghorn for fun

Old 09-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Shooting the Staghorn for fun

Today I was looking through the gun rack trying to decide what rifle to shoot. That's when I saw the Staghorn Magnum all tucked away back there. So I pulled that out and checked to make sure the battery in the RED DOT Bushnell Trophy sight was working. It was... Then a trip to the bullet rack to see what I could shoot, uncovered seven old 295 grain all lead hollow point Power Belts, some .452 45 caliber XTP with some crushed rib Harvester Sabots, we took a box of .503 diameter 460 grain BullShop conicals, some Pyrodex RS, Triple Se7en 3f, a new tin of Winchester Primers, a bag of patches, a bottle of cleaner, the range rod, other loading items and headed to the range. Well OK, walked out the back door...

I started with the Power Belts. At the 50 yard line the small 3 MOA dot was perfect. The power belts are marked with the green dots so they are not so confusing. Why #3 went to far out of the loop, I have no idea, other then I shot #1 did not swab, shot #2 then swabbed, shot #3 which went nuts, and then shot the rest with out swabbing.

Then I cleaned the barrel as best I could and loaded 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and a 460 grain Bull Shop Conical.(blue dots)I was shocked to see them hit low like they did. So I shot four rounds then swabbed. Again, the next round #E, went nuts, so I swabbed again, shot #F, swabbed again and shot #G and really could not decide what was going on. Besides I wanted to shoot today which was the important thing.

I then swabbed and loaded .452 45 caliber, 300 grain Hornady XTP (Bulk- red dots) and Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I know the rifle likes to shoot them with 85 grains of Pyrodex RS, so I loaded that. So I just started shooting and loading as fast as I could. The rifle preformed perfect and the accuracy was excellent.

This is my in the marsh and late afternoon in the cedar shadows rifle. With the RED DOT, all the shots are real close, and with those loads I use, I think I have a good chance if I can get to 50 yards with my XTP's loaded...

Over all I burned a lot of powder, threw a lot of lead, and that was the important thing...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting the Staghorn for fun

cayugad

Dang Dave! - good shooten - wish I did not have to travel 50 miles one wayto shoot... Some timesI hate living in town and I already know I hate people they just keep moving farther and farther out... I use to, in fact I still do tell my students that I really do hate people... they really get a funny look on their faces....

I sure hope it cools down here soon also... Archery season is open now but I can not imagine shooting an elk in these temps...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

That CVA Staghorn Magnum is a strange rifle. The barrel to stock does not fit the greatest, yet with certain loads it really does a good job of putting them down range. It is more then able to get the job done at the distances I encounter around here. The temperature is not all too bad here, but I know what you mean about hunting and scoring in hot weather.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

"That CVA Staghorn Magnum is a strange rifle. The barrel to stock does not fit the greatest, yet with certain loads it really does a good job of putting them down range."

Good shooting with the Stag Horn. Looks like that gun likes the 300 grain XTP loads.

The problem with my Stag Horn was that the stock was very flexible. Glass bedded the action, floated the barrel and put an aluminum insert in the action screw hole. It now holds zero much better than before.This gun is just as accurate as any other muzzleloader made. It is just not as pretty as some. When i am having a goodday i can put three shots in a one inch group at 100 yards with that cheap gun.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Hope my staghorn shoots that good! When it comes in[:@][:@]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Hope my staghorn shoots that good! When it comes in[:@][:@]"

Guess that UPS has not yet come through for you. That stinks big time.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 AM

Nope. Never called me back, never met me. Lets hope its on the truck tuesday. Im really wanting to shoot the rifle before hunting season starts Saturday.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Falcon.. thanks for the idea. I have been wondering how hard it is to do that bedding stuff, and this would be a good rifle to practice on. Perhaps it is time for me to take the plunge...
Old 09-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my in the marsh and late afternoon in the cedar shadows rifle. With the RED DOT, all the shots are real close, and with those loads I use, I think I have a good chance if I can get to 50 yards with my XTP's loaded...

Only there? lol

It sure does like those XTP's. Good shooting!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I have been wondering how hard it is to do that bedding stuff, and this would be a good rifle to practice on. Perhaps it is time for me to take the plunge..."

Tip, use Acraglas gel. The other stuff is too runny. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Shooting the Staghorn for fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.