Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Fat and very tasty >

Fat and very tasty

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fat and very tasty

Old 08-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fat and very tasty

cayugad, do you have a fall turkey season?
No turkey hunting for me this year.. I did not apply for the permits.I do not have time to run to the southern end of the State to the farms...

Also I have an old dog that is not too friendly when I am not around. When I am near, he could care less. Let me leave and Cujo comes out. He can not be taken anywhere. The second I go hunting, he gets real nasty, and raises cain where ever he is... So once he goes to the happy hunting ground (which I figured would be years ago) then I can start taking some nice hunting trips.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Years ago I dated a woman that swore she hated venison no matter how it was cooked and would not eat it under threat of death. She stopped over to the house one afternoon/evening around dinner timeunannounced and I happened to be making venison steaks on the grill. So she of course helped herself to dinner. I never told her what she was eating. Afterward she commented on how wonderful the steaks were and asked what store I bought them at... It was then that I broke the news to her. She doubted me so bad, she actually checked my trash for meat wrappers. When she found the white freezer paper with my scratching on it, she was shocked. I then asked her where she had eaten venison in the past and how it was cooked. She could not remember. I suspect she was one of them people that made a decision in her mind of what was good and what she disliked, without really tasting and making an informed decision.

A real favorite of mine is to salt, pepper, Lowery's seasoning salt the steak. Then throw that on a hot grill. While it cooks, paint it with some Famous Dave's original barbecue sauce... cook to rare, and serve hot..

is it September yet?
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me only it was ground deer meat that I made in my lazagna. Only she got mad that I "tricked" her... I suspect that most people don't know how to cook it or they leave the hide on it for a week before processing it. I know I was at my inlaws house one time and someone had given them some deer meat to fix and it quite possibly could have been the worse meat I've ever had in my life. That would explain why some people would hate it.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

"There is nothing better then venison steaks on the grill."
Yeah buddy! I did just that last night. Did a quick marinadewith teriyaki, garlic, olive oil and orange juice; threw them on the grill and cooked to about rare/medium rare.Had a baked patato and salad to round out the meal. Got up this morning andfixed a steak and cheddarsandwich on toastwithwhat little leftovers there were. My kids, ages 4 and 9, lovevenison. My wife was real picky about it for years, until the kidscame along and started eating the heck fire out of it. Now, it's mostly what she uses for stews,chili, fajitas, spaghetti and such. Every now and then, she'll pick up some nice beef steaks, if she finds a really good deal on them, but for the most part it's deer meat in our house.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I been butchering for some 40 years and have a lot of friends that like venison and have parted with steaks and roast and stew but the backstraps stay with me.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

MMMMMM, some spicy backstrap stir fry sounds good for the weekend.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to slice my steaks thin. I then lightly flour the steaks and sautee(how do you like that word) them in butter with Lawrey's seasoning. Then I make a steak SAMMICH(with a slice of cheese). Am I the only one that does this. Oh and do not forget the Kaiser buns. NO PEPPERS-but maybe a few mushrooms.

Hey Cayugad-if you travel through WV-stop by-I will give you a couple of packages to get you through. My mother cooks it in a slow cooker with gravy, it is really great. As a matter of fact their is some on the heat right now. VENISON for lunch today. Tom.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious, do you guys hang your deer. I've never hung a deer more than a day. Maybe I don't notice the difference because I shoot a lot of doe's. What do you guys do?

Tom
Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Hanging a deer I think is related to the temperature where you hang... For instance, if it is very warm, I never hang a deer. Say I get a bow deer in early September when day time temps can be high. The the deer is brought out of the woods, hosed down real good to clean and cool it, andskinned, washed again to remove any loose hair from skinning, and wrapped in a big cotton game bag. Next day it is butchered.

In November & Decemberduring modern & muzzleloaderseason, I have been know to hang them for a day or two, but the trouble then is, they freeze solid many times and are hard to butcher without saws, etc.. One deer season I remember, it was -28ยบ below zero. It hurt your hands just to handle the deer and skin it, the thing was so cold.

What I do is again, wash them free of blood, skin them right away, wash then a final time, and if it is cold, hang them in the garage until they get (how do I describe this..) firm but not frozen solid. Then they are easy to de-bone and butcher. I de-bone all the meat I cut up. Any scraps worth saving goes into the grinder for sausage or hamburger, and the ribs are quartered and cooked on the outdoor grill. The back straps are always butter fly cut, and the steaks are cut 3/4 inch thick, and theroasts according to muscle groups are cut...

I envy you people that know how to really butcher an animal. I have friends that "think" they know how to butcher, but there is a big difference in the way I do my deer and a professional.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

The gentleman that processes deer for me lets them hang in his meat locker for 3-4 days before butchering. He's been doing it for years and does a really nice job on the cuts. I wish I could hang mine here at the house and do the processing myself, but it stays fairly warm here into late October/early November. Plus, I don't have a privacy fence and some of my neighbors would have a stroke seeing a deer hanging in my back yard. I really missthe family farm back home sometimes.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend back in TN that fills a couple of freezers with venison each year. He does his own processing due to the cost of paying someone to butcher 12 to 15 deer being so expensive. He has a refridgerator that he dedicates to deer during the season. He skinsand quarters them and then places them in the fridge for a few days to a week to age before cutting them up and packaging for the freezer.

I have been doing the same thing for the last few years with both venison and elk and I really like the way the meat tastes, very mild and tender. I have even let some age as long as 2 weeks but prefer to not go over a week if possible. Just make sure the temp stays around 34 to 36 degrees.

Quick Reply: Fat and very tasty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.