Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Fat and very tasty >

Fat and very tasty

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fat and very tasty

Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fat and very tasty

I took a freezer inventory and looks like last year's deer will be fini on time. Ducks need some work. I was amazed at the fat on these steaks from last years 1 1/2 year old (yearling) doe. Put 'em on the grill and man were they awesome. No marinade, just salt and pepper. Pink and juicy. Makes their destroying the plots/crops worthwile!

" />
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fat and very tasty

those are nice looking steaks. There is nothing better then venison steaks on the grill. I am currently out of them so bow season starts in September. I hope to change all of that. Although all I have been seeing on my walks and scouting is turkey. Then again, roast turkey is good too..
Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those do look good.

"There is nothing better then venison steaks on the grill."

Well I'm out of venison but I still have some elk that tastes mighty good. I've got a month till my kids go on their muley hunt to make some more room in the freezer. If things go good I may have to buy a larger freezer next month, I hope. If not then maybe in December when my oldest and I go on our elk hunt. One can only hope.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

My wife got home and ate the 3rd one. Said it was really good and asked me what I marinated them in. Salt & pepper "marinade"! She didn't believe me. To think when I married her she didn't like venison. Now it's ducks, geese, doves, deer and fish, lots of fish. Fall. Gotta love it.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

dmurphy - for $50 you can pick up a good used freezer. Get it, plug it in, and put some heat on those kids to fill it!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Although all I have been seeing on my walks and scouting is turkey. Then again, roast turkey is good too..
cayugad, do you have a fall turkey season?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, I hear ya.

If things work out I hope to also visit family in Mississippi around Thanksgiving and maybe add some whitetail to the diet. Sounds like I need to go ahead and get that freezer now.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Years ago I dated a woman that swore she hated venison no matter how it was cooked and would not eat it under threat of death. She stopped over to the house one afternoon/evening around dinner timeunannounced and I happened to be making venison steaks on the grill. So she of course helped herself to dinner. I never told her what she was eating. Afterward she commented on how wonderful the steaks were and asked what store I bought them at... It was then that I broke the news to her. She doubted me so bad, she actually checked my trash for meat wrappers. When she found the white freezer paper with my scratching on it, she was shocked. I then asked her where she had eaten venison in the past and how it was cooked. She could not remember. I suspect she was one of them people that made a decision in her mind of what was good and what she disliked, without really tasting and making an informed decision.

A real favorite of mine is to salt, pepper, Lowery's seasoning salt the steak. Then throw that on a hot grill. While it cooks, paint it with some Famous Dave's original barbecue sauce... cook to rare, and serve hot..

is it September yet?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Famous Dave's original barbecue sauce...
I've been wondering how you managed to retire in the North woods at such an early age. That explains a lot. Your sauces are very good.

I do think most people who don't care for venison had it prepared by someone to whom it was given. They assume they have to cook the crap out of it because it's "wild" and turn it into leather. Their loss.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first experiences eating venison were at my uncle's house. My aunt would cut it into stew size peices,coat it in seasoned flour and then fry it. It would sometimes be tough but was not too bad tasting. I prefer to cook it just like I would beef, roast or steak or stew meat. Sometimes I grill the steaks without seasoning, sometimes with a little BBQ sauce, or whatever strikes my fancy at the time. As long as its not over cooked, its good. Man am I getting hungery.

Quick Reply: Fat and very tasty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.