Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Goex Pinnacle

Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Goex Pinnacle

[:@]Where the heck can I buy Goex Pinnacle? I live in central Iowa, and was hoping to get it at Cabela's in Owatonna, MN but called there and they said they don't carry it. None of our local sporting goods stores carry it either. Have checked with Gander Mountain, and they don't carry it. Anybody know where I can pick it up locally? If not local, then could you provide some phone number(s) I could call to order it? I prefer local, so I can avoid the hazmat fee, but if I have to, I guess I'll order it and pay the extra 20 bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Al
Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goex Pinnacle

I bought some at a Gander Mountain in Baraboo, Wisconsin. They said they did not have any either. When I visited the store they claimed all they had was Pyrodex and Triple Se7en. We then checked the back locker and they had Pinnacle, American Pioneer Powder, Shockey Gold, Triple Se7en... of course when you ask the clerk if they carry APP powder and they have no idea what I was talking about, that's when the bells and whistles went off.

I usually order my Pinnacle along with, when I get a case of black powder, from Powder Inc.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Al,
Not an answer to your question, but a comment on Goex Pinnacle.
I was going to try it recently, but when I checked the cans at our local store I found all of them were "set-up" like a brick. I shook several cans and none of them had loose granules any more, but rather a block of powder inside. I did vigorusly shake one and the powder sounded like it broke up into loose powder again, but I wasn't sure I wanted something that would do that in a factory sealed can - so I left it on the shelf!
I'm sure it was last year's stock, but I want something I can store for a year or more without worry.
BTW - it was the only brand that was like that. APP, T-7, and Pyrodex all sounded OK when I checked them.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Do store people give you funny looks when you shake powder? They do me. I even tried to explain to them that powder can go bad in the cans, but they think I am on some kind of trip I think.

Pinnacle is a good powder, but I never had any luck with it shooting heavy stuff. If the projectile was over 300 grains, forgit it. Now with the 240 grain XTP's my little Wolverine was very happy with Pinnacle, and it is easy to clean.

If you can't get Pinnacle, see if they have some APP. It is pretty close to the same thing.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In that particular store I don't really care too much what they think. They are overpriced on most sporting goods and get upset when I point that out to them. I buy only what I can't easily getelsewhere from them.
Unfortunately, they are about the only source of gunpowder here locally.