Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Goex Pinnacle - Cayugad >

Goex Pinnacle - Cayugad

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Goex Pinnacle - Cayugad

Old 03-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Goex Pinnacle - Cayugad

What are the granulations like - which one to use 2f or 3f?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goex Pinnicle - Cayugad

First four shots out of my Wolverine II with the Pinncale Powder....

Without question get the 3f. Even Pinnacle 3f is course when you compare it to Triple Se7en or Goex 3f. Accuracy wise the stuff does great with sabot loads. And a fellow could get used to this not swabbing stuff....
Old 03-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Goex Pinnicle - Cayugad

Thanks for the answer 3f vs. 2f.

I would really like to get some and shoot it across my chrono to compare it with t7. Plus the price is much more reasonable than BM3...

I just do not want to buy 4 bottles + hazmat with out trying some first - hopefully someone around here will get some.

Did you ever shoot Goex's Clear Shot? I really did not like its performace - so I am hoping this powder is better than that attempt.

Thanks again
Old 03-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goex Pinnacle - Cayugad

I have shot a lot of Clean Shot. In fact I still have about half a pound of 2f. I personally had good luck shooting the powder in the sidelocks but I always felt it was a little less powerful then say Pyrodex. As for clean-up it is a snap.

I hope you can find some. I would sure be interested in how it performs...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

cayugad

What solution did you use to swab the bore with?--Looks red or pink in color?

How do you rate Pinnicle with FFFg APP ??--Same--Better--Worse

As you know, I shoot only APP, FFFg. Is Pinnicle worth my changing over?

Thanks

Lane
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I swab the bore with Black Off - Rusty Duck when I am about to clean the barrel for good. It is red in color. The stuff really pulls the fowling out of a barrel. I was lucky this year, Wal Mart was selling their end of clearance sale stuff and had five pints of it for a fraction of what they were normally selling the stuff so I took all of it...

I have never shot A.A.P. FFFg powder. I have shot Clean Shot in FFg. The difference I can see between Clean Shot and Pinnacle is of course the color. Clean Shot is gray where this stuff is jet black. I was shooting Pinncale 3f and it seemed to have excellent power but there was no chronograph so as for power relation to other powders, I have no idea.

Whether you should change over... I would hate to say. I would suggest you get a pound of the Pinnacle 3f and shoot it for yourself. It was a real surprise for me. I kind of like the stuff because of the ability to load sabot after sabot without swabbing. When I shoot Goex Black Powder, because of the fowling, you have to swab in there. I do not know how the A.A.P. is like that. Maybe I should pick up a pound of that. That is the one powder they do sell in the area ......
Old 03-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

sabotloader,

I'm with you on the Goex ClearShot. That stuff is junk - weak & dirty.
Just in my cap & ball revolver, ClearShot produces only 1/2 of the velocity 777 3fg does. And forget the 2fg out of a rifle - it's at least 20% weaker than Pyro RS..........meaning again, it's 40 to 50% weaker than 2fg 777.

CleanShot/American Pioneer/Pinnacle on the other hand ain't bad stuff. The 2fg powder was 5 tp 10% weaker than RS - but the 3fg cut is at least on-par with RS. As such, it's probably a tad less powerful than 777, but just the usual 10 to 15% that you have to deal with when comparing it to Black or Pyro. This stuff IS CLEAN too. You just have to make sure it stays dry and de-humidified.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

You know what.. I have never shot Clear Shot. I just realized I shot Clean Shot. Must be a totally different animal from reading some you your posts.

As for Pinnacle, I wanted to test it in wet conditions so I was outside shooting while it was snowing and really did not notice a problem with the powder. Of course I do not leave the cap off of the container and I was shooting right away, so maybe the stuff did not have the oppertunity or time to suck up any water.

To be honest, I kind of like this powder. It sure shoots clean. Although it would be hard for me to leave my Goex Black Powder. I guess I like the price of that a lot more.....
Old 03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Clean Shot and Clear Shot are different powders. Clear Shot was the Goex synthetic first try which was really bad stuff. Very slow to light off and a slower than anything pressure rise rate. Clean Shot is the same as American Pioneer Powder and probably very similar to the new Goex entry Pinacle since they collaborated with APP to make the stuff or so the rumors go. I am still stuck on Black Mag'3 as it is giving me the results I want in my Omega and the lack of residue and non-corrosive nature is what I want for a hunting powder. I still use the others for shooting as I have a lot of almost everything but I have stopped shooting 777 just because I can't stand the crud ring. I just wish someone in my area stocked the Black Mag'3. I have not found Pinacle in stores either.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 PM

swab the bore with Black Off - Rusty Duck when I am about to clean the barrel for good. It is red in color. The stuff really pulls the fowling out of a barrel. I was lucky this year, Wal Mart was selling their end of clearance sale stuff and had five pints of it for a fraction of what they were normally selling the stuff so I took all of it...
No wonder I couldn't find any! It is good stuff though.

Quick Reply: Goex Pinnacle - Cayugad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.