Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Powder?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which Powder?

ORIGINAL: XxHolleyxX

I'm runnign low on powder and my wife is going into town tomorrow. Shooting a Knight T-Bolt with RS, Shockwave Bonded 250s and TMZ Expander 250's shoots pretty good, but I was wondering what is the best / most consistent powder? I also picked up some 240 & 300 grain XTPs that I havent had the chance to shoot yet, as well as some 250 Shockwave non bonded. Should I stick with the RS? or try Select, 777, JSG? Also what about fffg instead of ffg? Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Holley
With a .50 caliber Knight T-bolt I personally would shoot Triple Se7en 2f in loose form. I would start my loads out at 80 grains and work up from there. Be sure to swab between shots.

If you can not get Triple Se7en 2f then Pyrodex RS is a great powder. While it is dirty, it is a good consistant, hard hitting powder. Many of the rifle manufacturers still work their loads up with Pyrodex RS. The only difference between the RS and the Select is the number of times it went through a screening process. ?Select is not worth the additional cost. I used to shoot only Select thinking it was better. When I could not get it one day and was forced to get RS.. I discovered that there was no difference in the powders at all.

Once you have a good load worked up for your rifle, then you can start to experiment with different powders and different grain sizes. I just ordered six pounds of Pyrodex P because I like to shoot that in my traditional rifles. I also ordered six of Triple Se7en 2f and six of the 3f. So I should be set for a while. I hate to keep saying that your rifle will tell you what it likes but that is very true. Some rifles will just shoot better with a different powder. Unfortunatly, experimentation is the only way to find that out.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Good grief cayugad! I'd hate to have your powder bill [:@]

I got the 777 2f. I was gonna try the 3f because of my short (22") barrel but they were out.

Cant wait for the weekend..gonna break out the TC Hawken for some extra fun too.

Thanks for everyones help.

Holley

Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Holley

You will be OK with the 2f, what ignition system are you going to use? 209's or #11's

The 209 might be the better with the short barrel...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm using musket caps cause thats what it came with and havent found a 209 conversion online. I did email Knight as some people have said you can get a conversion from them but have not recieved a reply as of yet. That was a couple days ago, so I may call them tomorrow. I did have a couple dud caps last weekend, but they were old ones I got in the trade. I got some new musket caps tonight to try just in case I dont get a conversion kit before the season starts.

holley
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Holley

Do you have the #11 nipple for that Knight? If you do and you can find them - Dynimit Noble 1075+ are the best #11 caps in my book. but, I do hope you are able to get the conversion...

Are one of these the conversion you are looking for...

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.aspx?catid=ConversionKitsAdapters

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm runnign low on powder and my wife is going into town tomorrow. Shooting a Knight T-Bolt with RS, Shockwave Bonded 250s and TMZ Expander 250's shoots pretty good, but I was wondering what is the best / most consistent powder? I also picked up some 240 & 300 grain XTPs that I havent had the chance to shoot yet, as well as some 250 Shockwave non bonded. Should I stick with the RS? or try Select, 777, JSG? Also what about fffg instead of ffg? Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Holley
I have used Pyrodex pellets, 777 pellets, loose Goex 3f and loose 777. I like the 777 loose because you can work loads with it, and once you use to loose you don't go back to pellets. The Goex works great in my FL. I using a consistent load volume measurement device is the most important issue for consistency. Like leveling the top of your load for accuracy. Obviously the more powerful the powder, if you "top off" the load by eyeballing it instead of leveling it then you get excess powder which causes shot to shot inconsistency. I have also shot American Pioneer, and the granduals are so big that I can see shot to shot variability being affected. Just my opinion. Chap Gleason

Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 AM

I didnt get the #11 nipple in the trade.

So are #11s better / hotter than musket caps? I could probably get the #11 nipple if I cant find the conversion kit. I already shoot #11s in my TC Hawken.

I dont think that my conversion is on that link. Unless one of them will work that doesnt specifically state T-Bolt. I will call Knight today about the conversion kit.

Thanks,

Holley

Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Holley
Pyrodex is a good, consistent powder. Both RS and P are fine. Haven't tried Select or any of the more recent APP powders like JSG. Clean Shot was pretty good, though, and was much the same as APP/Pinnacle/JSG.As long as you know how to clean your rifle after using Pyro,I see no problem! Of course, from the SHOOTING standpoint, nothing shootsbetter than a good, real black powder lke GOEX or better yet, SWISS. But I object to having to wipe the bore after each shot when hunting. So I usually use one of the substitutes in my caplocks for hunting, most recently GOEX ClearShot FFF. It works great, and I found 5 pounds of it recently, so will use it for severl more years.

I have two inlines, but so far have not used them except on the range to develop loads.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 AM

I talked to Knight a few minutes ago and have the 209 conversion on the way. Now...what are the best 209 caps/primers? I'll read through some earlier threads andget an idea of which ones are working for others.

Thanks once again. This forum is awsome! Everyone has been extremely helpful.

Holley
Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Holly

With shooting loose powder I do not anticipate any of the #11 caps or musket caps having a problem with excellent ignition of the powder. If you were shooting pellets, then the 209 primers would be a real recommendation.

Quick Reply: Which Powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.