HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Powder?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Powder?

ORIGINAL: XxHolleyxX

I'm runnign low on powder and my wife is going into town tomorrow. Shooting a Knight T-Bolt with RS, Shockwave Bonded 250s and TMZ Expander 250's shoots pretty good, but I was wondering what is the best / most consistent powder? I also picked up some 240 & 300 grain XTPs that I havent had the chance to shoot yet, as well as some 250 Shockwave non bonded. Should I stick with the RS? or try Select, 777, JSG? Also what about fffg instead of ffg? Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Holley
Pyrodex is a good, consistent powder. Both RS and P are fine. Haven't tried Select or any of the more recent APP powders like JSG. Clean Shot was pretty good, though, and was much the same as APP/Pinnacle/JSG.As long as you know how to clean your rifle after using Pyro,I see no problem! Of course, from the SHOOTING standpoint, nothing shootsbetter than a good, real black powder lke GOEX or better yet, SWISS. But I object to having to wipe the bore after each shot when hunting. So I usually use one of the substitutes in my caplocks for hunting, most recently GOEX ClearShot FFF. It works great, and I found 5 pounds of it recently, so will use it for severl more years.

I have two inlines, but so far have not used them except on the range to develop loads.