Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Powder?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Which Powder?

I'm runnign low on powder and my wife is going into town tomorrow. Shooting a Knight T-Bolt with RS, Shockwave Bonded 250s and TMZ Expander 250's shoots pretty good, but I was wondering what is the best / most consistent powder? I also picked up some 240 & 300 grain XTPs that I havent had the chance to shoot yet, as well as some 250 Shockwave non bonded. Should I stick with the RS? or try Select, 777, JSG? Also what about fffg instead of ffg? Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Holley
Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which Powder?

I like t7 but it can/ does form a crud ring. It cleans easier then RS but I get better groups with RS.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM

I have only used 777 loose 2F. with that said, you mentioned above 300g xtps. My optima likes those being pushed with 100g of 777 and 777 primers. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I started shooting 777 three years ago and haven't found a reason to switch. I had one rifle in which it formed a crud ring, but it wasn't bad. In my last two rifles, the crud ring has been nonexistant. I did switch to 3F 777 this season, due to a load recommendation I read, and have been very happy with the results.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just tried JSG and was well pleased with it so far. Out of my T/C NewEnglander and my Lyman Mustang I have had perfect ignition every time and groups that equal Pyrodex or BP. No crud ring at all in either gun.
I'm using 100 grains off fffg in both rifles. Probably pushing a max load for the T/C, but no indication of excessive pressure. I was suprised as to how well it ignites in the sidelock with CCI #11 magnum caps - no delay at all.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 AM

I'llget my wife to call me from the store and tell me whats available. I know they had pretty much everything the last time I was there. I just dont want to buy several powders at once. Since I already know what the gun will do with RS, I guess I will try the 777, or JSG, in 3f and compare groups. I still have plenty of time to change if the T-Bolt doesnt like the one I pick up. Thanks for the advice guys. This has been a most helpfull group.

Holley
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Holley

We do not have the best selection of powders in the world up here in the northwest where I am. We have the Pyro's and Triple 7 - I tried the Pyro's and did not like them and being that I think I am a performance nut I ended up using T7 right after it came out and have been using it every since. I hope you will be able to make the move to loose powder vs pellets. Pellets are very expensive and they are difficult to use to develop loads.... so if you can go loose - go loose.

I do shoot both 2f and 3f - for me it depends on the length of the barrel and/or if I am shooting a side hammer. If your Knight is a 26" or longer barrel and you are shooting 209's 2f will work fine.However, 3f does seem to burn a little cleaner and ignites reliably with #11 caps.

Some rifles do exhibit the "crud ring" ( a crusty ring deep in the barrel near where the bullet seats) a simple damp patch takes care of that in most cases.... for some reason I do not get these "crud rings" in any of my guns - not sure why there are a ton of different theories...

Anyway - I really do like T7...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 AM

I have always used Goex and then Pyro RS loose in my .45 Hawken. Then I got this inline in a trade and it came with some pellets. I like the loose better, and just wanted to try something different for a change. The crud ring and cleaning doesnt bother me a bit actually. I do like the fact that the breach plug is removable in the inline though But my Knight...I think has a 22" barrel....so I should probably try the 3f huh? She is on the way and I told her to call me when she gets there and tell me what they have.

Thanks!

Holley
Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Holley

I myself personally would go with the 3f in Triple 7 - I have not shot enough real BP to give a good evaluation there, but again I do prefer T7 because it is not near as corrosive as BP....

The difference in 2f and 3f is in the size of the granuals - it will not make, or it has not for me made a big difference in velocity or accuracy. I believe that 3f ignites quicker, reachs peak pressure quicker, and burns out quicker than 2f. + plus I lean to the fact that it burns a little cleaner...

You get to make the decision though....
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Holley,I think you will find that several things enter into how consistant a powder is for you;how you store it can enter into it big time also what oil and cleaner, then there is the weather not only the humidity but the temperture conditions under which you shoot. I live in a part of the south that is hot and humid the asorbic acid powders [made by APP] is what I would use if they were dependable enough but the least exposure to humidity causes them to be erattic.As far as I know I have tried everything pyrodex is the most dependable here its easily available which is the big draw back on Black Mag; I have wonderful results with APP if I keep it in a special dehumidifyer.
What it boils down to as far as I am concerned is that hot or cold [I like to travel and hunt other places] humid or not good old RS holds closest to "0",thats not to say that in an other place some thing else might be as good or that some rifle somewhere might shoot better with something else. Also might mention that according to the strain gage that pyrodex and APP show less strain with max loads while still getting the same feet per second. Which means that people need to be more careful about overloads with the faster burning powders because pressure will skyrocket easier with them. Hope this helps. Lee

Quick Reply: Which Powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.