Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Expert Advice? T-Bolt >

Expert Advice? T-Bolt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Expert Advice? T-Bolt

Old 07-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Expert Advice? T-Bolt

Good to hear it cleaned up well. The knights I've had with Green Mountain barrels have leaned toward liking heavier charges. Definately play around and see what this one's personality favors though. Good luck and let us know how she shoots.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the info. The guy who had it shot 150 g pyro pellets and 240 grain XTPs, but not cause they were the most accurate. That what he bought when he got the gun and he never tried anything else. Never even tried working on the load. I'll start at 80 and work my way up. If the gun likeshot charges I dont mind. I shoot a .300 WinMag and a single barrel 10 gauge...I dont mind recoil.

We were going this morning, but got delayed...theyre coming over around one.

Range report when I get back.

Holley
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM

Had fun today...the T-Bolt is definately showing promise.

Best groupso farwith shockwave 250sand100 grains Pyrodex select. 1 1/2" average 1 3/4" At 110 grains charge, the nexttwo groups opened to an average of 2 1/2"

The 250 grain Barnes Spitfire Expanders were still getting tighter @ 120 grains charge. Solid2" groups. Had to quit for a stinking party my wife hoodwinked me into [:@] Cant wait to up this one and see if it gets any tighter.

The XTPs shoto.k. @ 80 grains, but Ionly had a few and ran outand couldntcontinue testing. Two groups averaging 2 3/4"

I didnt get to shoot the PowerBelts yet.

Will continue testing next saturday unless I get time one evening this week.

Thanks again for the help,

Holley

Old 07-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Sounds like you got a darn good deal after all. Do you mainly want to hunt with sabots? I really like the way the 385 grain great plains conicals shoot out of my rifle. They dont cost much, $8 for 20 of them. Thats just another bullet i'd try out.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Sounds like you got a darn good deal after all. Do you mainly want to hunt with sabots? I really like the way the 385 grain great plains conicals shoot out of my rifle. They dont cost much, $8 for 20 of them. Thats just another bullet i'd try out.
Hadnt even considered it. I only shoot maxiballs out of my TC Hawken. The next time I'm doing a bullet run I'll check them out. I'll need to do one before I go to the range again. Thanks,

Holley
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: XxHolleyxX

Well I just finished cleaning the T-Bolt from top to bottom. The barrel looks perfect. I cant believe it came out this nice. shiny and smooth without a hint of corrosion. It must not have sat for too long.

I love this trigger...very crisp, no creep, or drag, not heavy at all.

I had a Bushnell Elite 3200 3 x 9 x 40 waiting to go on another gun, but I stuck it on the T-Bolt instead.

250 grain XTP
250 grain Shock Waves
250 grain Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ Expanders
295 grain Powerbelt Aerotips

Loose Pyrodex RS FFG
Pyrodex pellets

Gonna test it out tomorrow morning (uh thus morning..time to go to bed). I hopeit shoots and I canfind a decent load. A couple of friends are gonna come over to my range and sight in their muzzleloaders also. I just got finished with a new heavy lh/rh bench and were looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the help guys,

Holley
My opinion on bullets is in the following ORDER and WHY:

Best Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ expander, they mushroom well and have 100% weight retention, they are great IF they shoot well in your gun. Cost is a buck each.

Next best 250g SW, for close shots (<75-100 yards) shoot for the shoulder blade, since they tend to NOT expand on close shots.

Next best XTP, tend to loose their weight on close shots < 50 yards. Ususally kils the deer on close shots since the lead usually penetrates into the chest cavity with the jacket busting up. Good all around inexpensive bullet. A better choice is the Speer Gold Dot, it is bonded to the lead and won't seperate.

295g PB, if you shoot them over 1400 feet per second, they fragment and you get a wounded deer. No should hits or they fragment. Perfect bow shots are fine with this bullet. Great shooting, great loading. If you want the "negative on PB", without a war read this:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/powerbelt_page.htm

Just pretend your shooting a "long range" bowand wait for a bow shot with PB bullet and you will be fine. Unless you have great vision, limit your shots to <100 yards even with a scope, since you could hit the shoulder blade, and you will wound the animal you will NOT kill it, since there is not enough of the PB to get into the chest cavity into the Lungs. Of couse this is from the school of hard knocks and this my opinion only, other hunters love them, other hunters do well with them.
Chap Gleason